Split batch yeast recommendations?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwheel

Reaction score
This might be more appropriately posted in the recipe section, but I wanted to see if you guys had thoughts on a 3rd yeast to use in a split batch recipe I am going to do this weekend.

My plan is to brew a 12 gallon batch and split it at least into two batches using Wyeast 1968 and the Wyeast Belgian Ardennes blend (can't remember the #).

Given the recipe below, is there another third yeast that might be good to experiment with (and do three 4 gallon batches)?

Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
18 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 66.7 %
5 lbs Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 2 18.5 %
2 lbs Caravienne Malt (22.0 SRM) Grain 3 7.4 %
1 lbs Aromatic Malt (26.0 SRM) Grain 4 3.7 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 5 3.7 %
7.00 g Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - First Wort 60.0 min Hop 6 6.3 IBUs
28.00 g Willamette [5.50 %] - Boil 40.0 min Hop 7 7.9 IBUs
28.00 g Willamette [5.50 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 8 5.5 IBUs
28.00 g Saaz [4.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 9 2.4 IBUs
28.00 g Saaz [4.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 10 0.0 IBUs

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.054 SG Measured Original Gravity: 1.046 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.012 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.010 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.5 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 4.7 %
Bitterness: 22.0 IBUs Calories: 151.6 kcal/12oz
Est Color: 10.0 SRM

My answer to any "which yeast" question is going to be 2308 because that's become my house strain. :p

Your recipe kinda reads like how I imagine Kwak is formulated for some reason, so maybe stick to the Belgian genre and have something to benchmark the Ardennes against, like Chimay.

I just made a Maibock with this strain and love it!

So do you treat it with love and keep it at lager temps, or do you let it ferment in the low to mid 60s?

My first thought is any saison yeast. A different Belgian yeast (Chimay, Westmalle, Duvel, etc...) would work, especially if you want to see what each brings in identical worts. My prediction would be that you'll like the Ardennes the best. You could try a Kolsch or Alt yeast if you wanted to have three different countries represented.

So do you treat it with love and keep it at lager temps, or do you let it ferment in the low to mid 60s?

Well, the one time I pitched it warm (around 70ºF, I guess?) it was a fruit salad for a month longer than it should've. When it's in its thermal happy zone, it's just solidly clean, neutral, and full-bodied.

so maybe stick to the Belgian genre and have something to benchmark the Ardennes against, like Chimay.

That's what I did, a belgian dark strong recipe split between 500 and 550 (sorry I speak white labs but I think that's Chimay / Ardennes). Can't tell you much about it yet it's only been 3 weeks in the bottle but I might sample as early as next weekend...

I picked up a pack of 2308, so if this isn't the best beer I've ever made, I blame you 944play!

By the way, what are your thoughts on the recipe? Hate to make something that ends up wasting $20 of yeast.

I have yet to make a bad beer with 2308, from I think 18 batches so far now. It has made me into a lager brewing enthusiast, even though I'm still doing the two coolers/pond pump/temp controller lambada.

The recipe looks good, but it may reward more attenuative strains than 1968 and 2308. The Belgian yeast will likely be a nice match.

Back