Smack Packs. How long after smacked?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IrregularPulse

Hobby Collector
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Any one know how long a smack pack is good for once smacked and swollen? Was planning on brewing this morning, but there's now way I'll keep a flame going with this wind and the garage is way to packed and not enough time time clean it out. Got a bday party at 4. So will this pack last a couple days? A week? Need to brew tonight after the party?

I honestly don't know for sure, but if you can keep a tube of yeast in the fridge for a few weeks before using it I'm not sure it's much different than a tube of yeast. I would assume you could refrigerate it for several days before using it.

Just take it out a few hours before pitching, maybe 4? Move it around a bit to rouse it and keep it somewhere relatively warm, like 65-68 degrees to get it active and going again.

That would be my guess.

sounds logical to me too. I'll go ahead and toss it in the fridge. I guess it's not different than a starter. It's basically a very small starter. I'll go ahead and toss it in the fridge. As long as the wind dies, I should be able to brew tonight.

Any other input still appreciated as well.

I don't see why it couldn't be left for an extended period. Put it in the fridge, the yeast will snooze until your ready. I would plan a starter though.

You mean you didn't make a starter to begin with? For shame. :D

Since you won't be brewing in the wind, make a starter up anyway today. Then you won;t need to worry about it.

I don't keep DME on hand. I know shame shame I don't do starters what a noob:) I did one last batch for my lager but am waiting until I build a stir plate, then I'll start doing them every time. Maybe I'll search that real wort starter deal.

Toss it in the fridge. Take it out and warm it up a few hours before you brew. If you use it sometime in the next week, you should be alright.

Starters are great to use and an excellent habit to get into. They're also something I've never bothered with yet and I just pitch the smack pack and my beer's came out fine.

(Yes, I'll admit that my beer might have been BETTER with a starter, but it's been great anyway. :D)

Back