smack pack already activated

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrettV

Reaction score
I took out my smack pack from the fridge to activate it tonight, because I plan on making a starter tomorrow evening, and the pack was already somewhat inflated. It had enough air in it, that I cannot find the nutrient pack, and I'm afraid to whack it in its current state. Does this mean the nutrient pack was somehow broken in the fridge? And if so, I thought the temps of the fridge were too cold for yeast to be active anyway. What should I do, just go ahead and make the starter as is, since the DME will give them something to eat anyway, or is it normal for the bag to inflate somewhat in the fridge, and I should keep trying to find the nutrient pack.

Thanks. For now I just transferred it to the chest freezer I'm going to use as a ferm chamber, and set the temp at 70. "Room temperature" in my apartment is currently 83 degrees at 1 AM, so I don't want to just leave it out.

Back