Safale US-05 lag time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nexy_sm

Reaction score
Hi all guys,

I wonder how long is lag time when u use Safale US-05 strain. I have used it 4 times since now and every time the bubling startet like 20 hours after pitching, although I use about 8g per 14 liters batch.
Bubling was usually starting like 5 or 6 hours after pitching in the case of Safale S-04 or Whit strain. One thing is that before I used S-05, I acquired wort chiller. Can the reason for this lag be the fact that I probably chil my wort too much? At the moment, some 27 hours after pitching, The kreusen is not that thick and creamy.

Cheers

If you are pitching into cooler wort, that would certainly tend to make it start later. In my experience, S05 starts about as early as S04, but not as vigorously.

If you are pitching cold then yes, lag time will be somewhat slower but this is actually beneficial instead of pitching warm and then cooling. In addition, lag time will be dependent upon whether you are rehydrating the yeast (Recommended) and how well you are aerating the wort as yeast require o2 during the lag phase.

I rehydrated properly as suggested in the book 'Yeast'. I also oxygenated wort with air pump for about 10 minutes. As for the temperature of wort, I didn't measure but I am sure it was below 20. I used tap water for cooling.

Latest posts

Back