Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Reusing yeast - without washing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2012, 07:17 PM   #81
cheezydemon3
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1643 Times on 1235 Posts
Likes Given: 3007

3 floyds bottles have been proven to wash yeast by themselves with no effort.

Fill the bottles with yeast cake sludge and leave in a warm moist place, preferably a barn or out house.

Around midnight, the yeasty wash fairies will swoop in (assuming no bears are near) and scrub each little yeasty with their little lufas.

SO DO YOU WANT THE DAMNED THINGS OR NOT????!??!?!??!?!!!!

Old 03-16-2012, 11:44 PM   #82
earwig
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezydemon3 View Post
Implying that I am not?

Come off it big guy.

Sure I am eyeballing it, but with out a really specialized computer and an electron microscope, SO ARE YOU. How can you claim to be more accurate than me?

Wanna compare beers?

Name it.
I come closer by measuring it (the clean slurry) depending on what I am brewing. Are you the guy who "leaves a cup behind" in the fermenter? I can't keep up
Old 03-17-2012, 01:24 AM   #83
BrewKnurd
Formerly discnjh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 238 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 112

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezydemon3

SO DO YOU WANT THE DAMNED THINGS OR NOT????!??!?!??!?!!!!
sorry, I have a *censored*. Good luck.

Fake it til you make it.

Reason: wouldn't want to be troll-ish

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2013, 05:54 AM   #84
Petekiteworld
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 27 Posts

I have washed and also just pitched slurry. Now I just pitch slurry because it makes no difference in beer quality and saves a few minutes. If I brewed seldomly then I would wash because it seems a better way to store yeast long term but I'm always brewing so no need.

A lot of brewers take this hobby so seriously that they would break out a microscope if they could and count the number of yeasties pitched. I say don't worry, have a homebrew.

Old 07-16-2013, 09:45 PM   #85
taa800
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I started this thread over a year ago and was very interested in everones replies. Since then, I have been just saving and pitching slurry. I've never had a problem with this. I've pitched yeast up to 6 months old - from the date I harvested it. Again, no problem.

I'm sure there are people that feel this is unjust, but it's been working great for me. So that's all that matters. I like to discuss topics like this to get peoples' opinions, and this was pretty well split, so I picked a way and went with it. I'm glad I did.

Old 07-17-2013, 12:30 AM   #86
eastoak
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 150 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by taa800 View Post
I started this thread over a year ago and was very interested in everones replies. Since then, I have been just saving and pitching slurry. I've never had a problem with this. I've pitched yeast up to 6 months old - from the date I harvested it. Again, no problem.

I'm sure there are people that feel this is unjust, but it's been working great for me. So that's all that matters. I like to discuss topics like this to get peoples' opinions, and this was pretty well split, so I picked a way and went with it. I'm glad I did.

this is the best way to settle things, do it and see what happens. i see so many people on here just go with what others say (wash vs no wash, O2 vs shaking, dry vs rehydrate and so on) then stick with it no matter what because it's "what i heard".

Old 11-20-2013, 12:44 AM   #87
KiterNick
Recipes 

Its hard to switch habits...I was a bleach and water guy on my first batch, because I didn't have Stars San. Then, when I had good beer I didn't want to change...keep brewing using the same sanitization ritual. Finally, I just figured I would try it....and was very nervous. Sanitized stuff without a 20 min soak, sounds too good to be true...

It was an awesome change, but hard to switch and lots of stress until I had a few batches under my belt using Stars San. I still fight the urge to do a periodic bleach soak...

Now I'm struggling with yeast. I have done 3 generations twice, then buy new yeast...each time is a lot of stress, so far so good...have not been washing the yeast, but try to get a layer that is not trub...

Old 11-20-2013, 06:33 AM   #88
nthammer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Likes Given: 34

This is one of the best discussions I've found on yeast washing. And this is one of my favorite things about brewing beer, there is no 100% right way to do most things, it comes down to your OWN style.

I've got several brews under my belt now, and everytime I've tried a couple new techniques, as im just feeling around finding what I like best.

I am going to start saving yeast as I currently have 4 active yeasts in fermenters right now (775 cider, 1056, 1028 london ale, and 1945 nb) and would love to have a 'yeast library' and this thread has givin me a lot of insight on how I would like to go about that...

so thank you EVERYONE for your thoughts and opinions.

Quick Reply