Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > The re-use of yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2011, 11:16 AM   #1
MikeFallopian
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default The re-use of yeast

I was drinking some bottle-conditioned beer last night and wondered: would it be possible/effective to use this yeast to make a starter for my home brew? Anyone have any thoughts/advice?

Also, could anyone inform me of the best way to re-use yeast from my own brews?

Any advice on making a starter batch in general?

Last edited by MikeFallopian; 07-22-2011 at 01:36 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2011, 12:14 PM   #2
Zanzibeer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Yes you can use it to make a starter. Make sure it is not just a bottling strain like most of the Belgians use. Usually craft brewers will bottle condition with the same strain they ferment with but it's good to search it and check. Just make a step starter to build it over time.
Be VERY Sanitary when doing this. Make the starter then open the beer, pour glass then pour dregs in starter. Shake vigorously and drink the beer

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply