Re-stirring or re-worting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheLionDragon

Reaction score
Ok ok I know I came up with a funny word. But here's my question, Over a week ago I used a stir plate with a 1l starter. I didn't get the chance to brew so I placed the Erlenmeyer in the fridge. I want to brew in the next days using that yeast. Should I dump the old wort and add new one and stir plate it again? Can I just stir it and pitch?

Thanks

Yeast will be fine in the fridge for a week, though it will take a (slight) viability hit. You certainly could decant and add new wort, but if you think you've got roughly the right cell count you can just use what you've got.

I couldn't tell because its my first time with the plate. What I am thinking it's to add yeast nutrient and stir it and use it as is.

If you needed to only do a 1L starter in the first place then you could decant and pitch the slurry, it will be fine the viability of leaving in the fridge would be close to 90% so you haven't lost much. If you need more than 1L starter for your planned brew I would just decant and step up the volume to your desired amount..

My personal system is to make the last step in my starters ahead of time and then crash cool in the fridge for a few days. The if something goes wrong in the process I have to time to recover without delaying my brew. The morning of my brew I allow the yeast to warm up slowly, decant and add more wort to the starter. As the yeast is really fresh they quickly come to high krausen (8-12hrs) and I can pitch the whole starter at high krausen. Since doing this I have had very short lag times and great attenuation. This last step of the starter I don't use a stir plate (but I do aerate), it is really just to wake the yeast up and get them ready to eat (sort of a yeast appetizer) and this way I'm not pitching a bunch of skunky starter wort into my main wort.

Clem

Back