Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Re-pitch yeast?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2014, 12:30 AM   #1
Ramses
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Re-pitch yeast?

Yeast Question
I have a chocolate milk stout in my primary and I pitched liquid yeast WLP041, no starter. I think it will do fine but I just got all the equipment to do a starter and made a Safale S-04 dry yeast starter.

Will it be ok to re-pitch the wort?

Will it be ok to pitch a different yeast than the original? Both are recommended for this recipe.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2014, 01:05 AM   #2
BadBeagleBrew
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 8

1. Don't need to make a starter with dry yeast, but it works if you do so no worries.

2. Re-using your yeast cake would be fine as long as your not using it for a lighter coloured beer. Even though you didn't make a starter as long as you had a nice healthy fermentation that yeast should be in perfectly good health if not amazing health after multiplying and eating all that good sugar. Imagine it like the beer you just made was a 5 gal starter for that liquid yeast.

3. Use your starter and Harvest your yeast, or save your starter and use your yeast cake.

Hope I understood what you were asking and answered your question.

Cheers

Old 04-10-2014, 01:19 AM   #3
flars
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 356 Times on 326 Posts
Likes Given: 62

Need some more information about your beer. Why are you thinking of pitching more yeast?

Old 04-10-2014, 01:21 AM   #4
Ramses
Recipes 

Thank you for your reply. I understand what you posted but does not quite answer my question. I'll try to put it another way: I brewed a stout and pitched a liquid yeast. It's been in the primary for 1 week. Today I made a starter from a dry yeast just for practice since it's my first starter. Basically my question is: what if I poured the started I just made into the already fermenting wort? They are two different yeasts.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Old 04-10-2014, 01:23 AM   #5
Ramses
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flars View Post
Need some more information about your beer. Why are you thinking of pitching more yeast?

It's more than anything curiosity. Just wondering what would happen if I threw the started yeast into my primary? Would it benefit from additional yeast?

Old 04-10-2014, 01:28 AM   #6
boydster
Don't act like you're not impressed.
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 609 Times on 418 Posts
Likes Given: 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramses View Post
It's more than anything curiosity. Just wondering what would happen if I threw the started yeast into my primary? Would it benefit from additional yeast?

Most likely, nothing would happen and it would be a waste of yeast. Are you at, or close to, your expected FG?

The first 3 days or so are when the most yeast cell division happens. You should have an ample yeast count in the beer by now that would render your new yeast useless.

Check out these cool kits at Know How Brews & Foods!

Big Jim Walker IIPA
Allagash-ishhh White Ale
Happy Hoppy Blonde Ale

Old 04-10-2014, 01:29 AM   #7
CBMbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
It wouldn't benefit and it wouldn't hurt. Really though, it is unnecessary. Once the starter is done doing its thing, put it in the fridge and use it for your next brew. Eventually some of the yeast will start to get old and dye off. Use mrmalty.com to figure out how many cells die in the amount of time until your next batch. Just set the production date to the date you made your starter.

Happiness is in the eye of the beer holder

Old 04-10-2014, 03:49 AM   #8
BigFloyd
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 626 Times on 548 Posts
Likes Given: 575

Since it's been a whole week, pitching the extra will probably just make your beer more "yeasty".

FYI- Try to be patient in allowing that chocolate milk stout sufficient time to age in the bottles. Don't worry if it doesn't taste very good at 3 weeks. It will be much, much better at 3-4 months.

Quick Reply