Questions about WYeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rinhaak

Reaction score
Got some questions about a couple different Wyeast strains, 1007 and 1272.

Anyone know how 1272 responds if it ferments at 72° for a week, then 60° for two weeks? I'm doing a low abv IPA, and I've got it in my fridge at the moment. Trouble is, I didn't plan very well, and I'm brewing an Altbier with a friend this weekend (using 1007), and we wanted to ferment that at 60°. I've only got the one brew fridge.

Which raises the next question: How does 1007 respond at different temps? The website doesn't say anything about low vs. high temperatures, though it does list 68° as the max temp. What flavors are associated with the different temps on this one?

Thanks everyone!

IMO you need to keep both within their working ranges or you may get undesirable results. 1007 range is 55-68, 1272 range is 60-72. Best bet would be to use the 1272 around 67-68 (to keep inside the range for 1007) for a week, then make the drop to 60-61. I don't like to push the edge of the temp range which is why I say 60-61. That being said, I have fermented 1007 around 72 before I started temp control and it wasn't too bad. If the yeast is stressed by using temps outside the range, it may not attenuate as desired and therefore you might not hit your TG and could get off flavors.

Your beer will be fermented after a week (most probably thing specially fermenting at 72º and with a low abv beer), after it fermented there is not a problem. I consider 72 a little to high for my tastes. Just after terminal gravity is reached remove the IPA from the fridge and leave at room temp.

I'm confused...
Why start at 72 for a week (pushing the high end) and risk off flavors, then drop it. For ales, you should start low then let it warm up slowly if you want once primary ferment is over. Did I misread the op? I'd just leave it low 60s for both.

DocScott said:
I'm confused...
Why start at 72 for a week (pushing the high end) and risk off flavors, then drop it. For ales, you should start low then let it warm up slowly if you want once primary ferment is over. Did I misread the op? I'd just leave it low 60s for both.

^^This!^^
IMO yeast should be pitched slightly colder than desired temperature and allowed to warm up to the desired temperature for a controlled growth phase.

At the higher end of any yeast strain's temp off flavors become a bigger concern.

Also, for an albeir, most people treat that as a lager and ferment colder and then lager it. At least thats how the guys I know brew it:) you definitely do not want that one to ferment warm

Check your gravity on the first one. If it's done (which it likely is after 2 weeks) dropping it to 60 is fine. If it's not, don't lower the temp. You risk the yeast going on strike.

Would make more sense going the other way, a week at 60F and then raising it to 72F. Most important window for temp control is the first 4-5 days after pitching.

BigRob said:
Would make more sense going the other way, a week at 60F and then raising it to 72F. Most important window for temp control is the first 4-5 days after pitching.

^ this. I start mine low and leave them there for 5-6 days and then move them out of the ferm chamber to slow rise for 2-3 weeks.

Back