Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Quad stuck at 1.046-help!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2013, 09:07 PM   #21
cernst151
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

rrayriver,
You don't want to add the cherries at bottling. You have no way of knowing how much sugar is in them so you'll inevitably end up with either bottle bombs or flat beer. You want to put them in secondary and let them sit for a week or two. Then rack the beer into tertiary to give it time to clear. The beer will pick up the flavor of the cherries and the yeast will have time to clean up the sugars in secondary then a lot of the solids will settle out in tertiary. I did this with a lambic with 7.5lbs of strawberries and 3lbs of rhubarb and it had big fruit flavor, good carbonation and pretty clear for the style.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2013, 03:35 AM   #22
rrayriver
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 7

Default Final Result

Being that so many people contributed and that there might be other who wish to clone The Three Philosophers, I thought I'd post a final update-something you dont see much of on this forum. After getting the fermentation back on and finalizing nicely, I added 2 lbs of dried cherries (steeped, not boiled, as recommended) to the secondary for two weeks. I bottled 80% and then added Leifmans Kreik to the final 20%. After three months I have no exploding bottles. The bottles WITHOUT the kriek are fantastic with a rich cherry background. I did a side by side blind taste test with The Three Philosophers and its was WAY closer than I thought I would get (with exception of the beautiful head that all of Ommegang's beers have). The ones WITH the Kriek definitely have the lambic influence but still with the richness of the quad-very nice, but I cant wait to crack a bottle after a year of rest. I would say that the kreik is not necessary, but a fun experiment over time.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply