problem with all grain not fermenting.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cook11

Reaction score
I brewed a peanut butter chocolate milk stout all grain about 2 and half weeks ago. I used pb2 for the peanut butter, one lb of lactose and grain and hops. The og was at 1.061. I pitched a smack pack of ale yeast and nothing happened. After four days I pitched some dry yeast saleale 04 and nothing happened. I took a reading yesterday and the sg was at 1.061. I rehydrated another safeale 04 yeast in warm water waited 25 min and pitched. As of now nothing is happening. I will check the sg tomorrow. I dont know what to do. I can see one or two yeast being bad but three? There are no odd odors coming from the wort. It smells like malt and yeast. The only issue during the brew was in the mash tun. The temperature of the mash tun was 150 when I sealed it. I use an igloo cooler. I think the problem could be the long starch chains didnt convert into simplier sugars for the yeast. But I dont know. Is there anyway I can save my batch? Is there anything I can do besides dumping it? I have more yeast but I am reluctant to pitch more into it? Any help would be appreciated.

I am scratching my head not understanding whats happening. The temp is at 72 f.

You didn't say, so I'm going to ask the obvious...

Are you using a hydrometer or a refractometer? Is it possible that it isn't calibrated correctly? What temperature did you take your first gravity reading at? Did you correct for that temperature and your hydrometer/refractometer?

.......not possible, there would be some fermentation occurring......troll?

I dont waste peoples time, I am not here making something up to pass the time or for fun. I have a problem with my latest batch and am looking for solutions or anything to why this would be occuring. Ruling out bad yeast (so far I have pitched three times) I dont know what to do. I have more yeast i can pitch and will do so if my next sg reading is the same as before. I am simply asking for help, I have been brewing for 5 years and never ran into this problem. This problem is 100% frustrating and disappointing. If you can give me help I will be grateful. If you believe I am on here wasting your time or others than dont respond to my thread. I am simply looking for help. If you believe my problem is impossible for it to occur than so be it you cant help me. I thought and still do think that this forum is for helping others with questions, problems, or anything home brewing related. And that is why I asked. I have researched online and in my brewing books and have not found any case of this happening. That is why I asked here. Again if you can help me please do.

Is there any chance you introduced potassium sorbate into your brew?

I used chicago tap water like I have for the past 5 years. The peanut butter I used was pb2 its a powder peanut butter and have used it in the past no problems. I add the pb2 to the carboy I dont add it to the boil. I santize all my equipment with san star. According to pb2 web site there is no potassium sorbate in it but there is some small amount of salt 4%. I have not done an iodine test but will look into it. Thank you

Ok, I'll bite again, was the grain milled? What was the rest if the grist, recipe? Pre boil gravity?

When you rehydrated yeast #3, did it get foamy, creamy or look dead ?
Viability checks, like making a starter for liquid and rehydrating dry, are a good thing.

When I rehydrated the yeast it was definately active. Foamy and bubbly I could smell the yeast real good so I poured it in.

No pre boil gravity, and the grain was milled 5 min before adding to the mash tun

I willing to bet your wort is under aerated. Did you rack it into your fermenter after the boil? Boiling drives out all the oxygen which the yeast need to multiply. Seal that thing up, shake it really really well, and the yeast you already have in there will probably start right up.

Not milled, under aerated(........), cursed by the white witch of the east andes, SOMETHING WOULD HEVE FERMENTED.

I bet the hydrometer is fukked. Keg it.

I'm guessing there was a butt-load of preservatives in all that crap, errrr- "ingredients" you put into the wort. Perservatives have a nasty habit of inhibiting growth of microbes such as yeast.

If you added that much yeast and the SB hasn't changed...you got a dumper...I'm assuming your yeast packets were viable and your hydrometer works...sounds like it was working on brewday.

cheezydemon3 said:
Not milled, under aerated(........), cursed by the white witch of the east andes, SOMETHING WOULD HEVE FERMENTED. I bet the hydrometer is fukked. Keg it.

With 3 yeast packs and wild yeast, there is NO way that there has not been fermentation unless there is something killing yeast on contact. If it tastes like beer, keg it; if it tastes like wort dump it.

rklinck said:
with 3 yeast packs and wild yeast, there is no way that there has not been fermentation unless there is something killing yeast on contact. If it tastes like beer, keg it; if it tastes like wort dump it.
+2

Latest posts

Back