Probiotics.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamdillabo

Reaction score
I've read though a few threads and looks like there's a link between home brew and intestine problems. I've been having problems my self the last few months. So my girl friend gets me probiotics. It doesn't say anything about directions besides take one daily.

Wondering if anyone has any advice about drinking on probiotics? She got me the "good" ones. That need to be kept in the fridge. They were really expensive.

My real question is can I make a yeast starter and break a cap into it to to make more? Cause you know. I'm cheap. But don't really want to spend another night rolling around begging for death ImageUploadedByHome Brew1390599408.939587.jpg

To lazy to type. Here's what's in it.

I don't know, but I suspect the answer is a "yes, but..."

I'm guessing all the bugs probably don't grow at the same rate. So after a couple of generations, the population proportions will be skewed towards the one that grows the fastest.

I don't know, but I suspect the answer is a "yes, but..."

I'm guessing all the bugs probably don't grow at the same rate. So after a couple of generations, the population proportions will be skewed towards the one that grows the fastest.

+1

Also yogurt is a fairly cheap option to get your dose of probiotics.

Home-brew uses the exact same ingredients as craft brew and macro brew so do you have the same problems from them as well?

I had a similar problem when I first started home brewing. Never was a problem drinking craft brew so I started eating more yogurt and the problem went away. Found out this year that home made hard cider is a bad idea (problem partially returned) since it is much harder to get the yeast to drop out and clear.

Good news is mead dose not bother me other than the hangover from having too much. :mug:

You can grow the lactic bacteria in a sugar solution. However, one or two strains will dominate.

You could use them to make a berliner weisse, and then you can drink your probiotics.

Make a 1.030/1.040 wort with no hops (add hops and it may not work as the bacteria doesn't like it). Use extract and boil for only a couple of minutes to ensure it is sanitized. Boil any top-up water too, to ensure it is sanitized. Cool to about 100 F. Crush your probiotics (about 2 to a gallon) and add to the wort. Do not aerate. Put on an airlock and keep warm, preferably between 90 and 100 F.

At about day 5 taste a small sample. If secently sour you can add yeast. If not sour, try again in a couple of days.

When sour pitch yeast (pretty much any yeast will do), aerate and ferment as normal. The low ph is hostile to yeast, so make a big pitch.

I'm usually in the bottle in 3 weeks and drinking in 5. It is a very refreshing beer, I like to have one as the first beer I drink, like an apertif before dinner. And since you didn't boil it after adding the lacto bacteria, it will have live bacteria in it.

The last one I made, I added some Nelson Sauvin hops as a dry hop, and it came out great.

Anything fermented and not pasteurized is a "probiotic," including bottle conditioned beer. See if it helps you - maybe it will, maybe it won't - but there are cheaper options.

It might be a placebo effect but within a few day my cramps went away. I don't want to get into TMI territory. And I'll leave it add I should be more hydrated now.

Thanks for the advice. My gf has a yogurt maker so I'll bring that thing out of the closet and give it a try.

I started my probiotics "diet" before Christmas and since then I lost 22 lbs and 3 inches off my belt. My digestive system feels much better now. I simply make sure to have at least one or more servings of yogurt, buttermilk or kefir a day. Most often I just have a small glass of buttermilk with my vitamins in the morning. I make my homemade ranch dressing with buttermilk. You can "remake" your buttermilk cheap and quick by simply adding 1/2 cup of buttermilk into a quart of milk, leave it in a room temperature for 8-24 hours. You can do the same thing with kefir. Kefir (or shanina) is a "drinkable yogurt" you can buy it in Eastern European or Arabic stores. You can also get a "kefir starter" from amazon.
Homemade sauerkraut, kimchi and kombucha are also probiotic.

Last edited by a moderator:
My real question is can I make a yeast starter and break a cap into it to to make more? Cause you know. I'm cheap. But don't really want to spend another night rolling around begging for death View attachment 174494

To lazy to type. Here's what's in it.

Just chiming in that a lot of Lactobacillus and Bifidobacterium species are anaerobes, which won't grow or don't like to grow in the presence of oxygen. This is why they like living in the intestines of mammals so much. To preserve the diversity of cultures in that probiotic supplement you would probably need more advanced equipment or growth media than a typical yeast starter. Homemade yogurt, kefir or buttermilk would definitely be the way to go!

I think you and I have the same problem. Have the probiotics helped at all? My homebrews have excessive yeast, at least more excessive than any beer I can buy. (I have read about the laxative effects of yeast.) After I drink ~3 bottles (TMI warning) I wake up in the middle of the night and have to spend a WHILE in the bathroom. I have been eating yogurt and drinking one of my homebrews a day to try and get my guts used to the yeast. It seems to be helping a lot but I am too scared to see if 3 beers still effects me that way.

i know this is an old thread, but i bought some kefir grains on etsy and they have been great for a daily homemade probiotic.

Back