Pellicle with White Labs 565?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

max129

Reaction score
I've tried searching for this and I haven't found anyone that's gotten similar results. I made a black saison three weeks ago and after leaving it in the secondary for a week, I noticed it was forming a pellicle on top. I've brewed a couple of small sour batches so I know it's definitely a pellicle and not krausen or something else. There's little to no chance of cross contamination by the way since I keep all of the sour equipment far far away from my regular brewing equipment and haven't done one in months.

I was just wondering if anyone's experienced this with this yeast strain or did I just get an infection?

Never seen a pellicle with that yeast, but you really shouldn't.

A picture would really help, though.

Couldn't get a clear pic of it and then I moved the carboy to make space for another one so a bit of the pellicle fell. For the first week in the secondary, it had that greasy bubble look (like this) and when I went back yesterday, the top looked like it was covered with a layer of whiteness (like this) - basically the exact same stages that my sour blonde went through.

Back