Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > is it okay to pitch yeast after 20 hours on stir plate?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2012, 07:12 PM   #1
jetmac
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default is it okay to pitch yeast after 20 hours on stir plate?

I was trying to time my brew day perfectly, but of course it took longer to cool the wort since it was 106F outside. So I went past the recommended 12-18 hours. I left the starter stir for 20 hours then pitched it.

Wayne Gretzky-"100% of the shots you don't take, don't go in

Revvy>>You shouldn't worry about ANYTHING, you didn't hurt the yeast, they know what they need to do, they want to eat all that sugar they are swimming around in. They want to pee alcohol and fart co2, it's their nature.

Bobby_M>>I flood the keg with CO2 for one minute with the lid off, rack the beer in to the bottom gently, seal it, flood it, vent it. If there's still O2 in there after that, F it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2012, 07:17 PM   #2
beertroll
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Yeah, you're fine. I've had starters on the plate for 48+ hours without a problem.

Old 07-02-2012, 07:18 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2778 Times on 1662 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Why would you think it wouldn't be? If you're building up a big starter, you may have it sitting there for a week.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 07-02-2012, 07:51 PM   #4
SamBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

you should be fine, I usually stir my starter only until I can see a change in colour ( from a bright brown to a cappucino like, usually it takes few hours ) and than I just let it sit for one day or more if I don't have time to brew

Old 07-03-2012, 01:42 AM   #5
jetmac
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Why would you think it wouldn't be? If you're building up a big starter, you may have it sitting there for a week.
Well optimum time to pitch is supposed to be 12-18 hours on stir plate. I've always stirred my starters for 30 hrs then put in fridge and either stepped it up or decanted and stirred them up and pitched. Blah, blah blah. Pitching straight off the stir plate is a new experience for me.

But, I'm happy to say, the little guys are already working hard after just 12 hours. (I pitched at 4am and they were working when I got home at 4pm) So I will probably continue using starters in this manner from here out unless I want to step up.

Wayne Gretzky-"100% of the shots you don't take, don't go in

Revvy>>You shouldn't worry about ANYTHING, you didn't hurt the yeast, they know what they need to do, they want to eat all that sugar they are swimming around in. They want to pee alcohol and fart co2, it's their nature.

Bobby_M>>I flood the keg with CO2 for one minute with the lid off, rack the beer in to the bottom gently, seal it, flood it, vent it. If there's still O2 in there after that, F it.

Quick Reply