Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > O2 Results from my new O2 meter!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2013, 07:21 PM   #31
Huff360
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdugre View Post
I have a medical oxygen regulator, something like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/H-M-Medical-...ht_1290wt_1152

I set it to 0.5 Lpm. Works great
Quote:
Originally Posted by wottaguy View Post
Say...nice find! Will this fit on one of those red cylinders typically found at home depot or lowes? Thanks for this link! Just what I needed!

No, it will not. The one linked to above uses a CGA-540 fitting. That is what a "welding bottle" uses. You can usually get a small tank full of O2 from AirGas or somewhere like that for about $75 or so. It will last you forever compared to the Red Burnz-o-matic tanks.

Medical oxygen tanks use a CGA-870 valve and usually require you to have a prescription to fill. Sometimes you can buy a cheap medical tank on craigslist and swap it for a welding tank at AirGas. I would call and ask them if they would do that first. You don't want to get stuck with a $30 medical tank that you can't get filled.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2013, 12:10 PM   #32
dstar26t
If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts

I played around with an O2 meter a couple years ago and recorded this data:

The measurements shown on that table were the only ones I got from that meter before it wouldn't calibrate anymore. I was pretty disappointed with it. It is the older Milwaukee model that the MW600 replaced. Make sure to calibrate yours often to make sure it's working properly.

Next: ?
Fermenting: Munich Helles v4, Dusseldorf Altbier v5, Oktoberfest v5, Dopplebock v2, Cider, Barrel Fermented Dreg Lambic, Brett Trois Helles, Carrot Blossom Cedar Mead
Drinking: Rye Berliner Weisse, Sauerkraut Fermented Gose, Lambic, Brett Trois IPA, Brett Blonde, Kriek, Saison, Sour Blonde, RIS
Barrel aged: RIS, Rye Barleywine, Tripel

diS Likes This 
Old 01-25-2013, 12:52 PM   #33
itzkramer
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I would also like to see readings for the following:

Shaking with the headspace filled with pure oxygen.

Pouring back and forth between 2 buckets.

The siphon sprayer nozzle from Midwest.

Thanks for taking the time to run your tests and posting the results. Greatly appreciated.

BEER:30 Brewing
Cleveland, OH

Old 01-25-2013, 07:37 PM   #34
jtejedor
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstar26t View Post
I played around with an O2 meter a couple years ago and recorded this data:

The measurements shown on that table were the only ones I got from that meter before it wouldn't calibrate anymore. I was pretty disappointed with it. It is the older Milwaukee model that the MW600 replaced. Make sure to calibrate yours often to make sure it's working properly.
Man those numbers are all over the place.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:52 PM   #35
dstar26t
If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts

I forgot to explain that this chart is for 5.25-5.5 gal batches in a 6.5 gallon carboy oxygenated with a .5 micron stone. They are listed chronologically, not by OG or temp or time so you have to study the data for a few minutes. There are too many dependents to graph it out. The last 6 rows of data were for 2 beers with 3 readings taken on each after additional oxygenation.

Next: ?
Fermenting: Munich Helles v4, Dusseldorf Altbier v5, Oktoberfest v5, Dopplebock v2, Cider, Barrel Fermented Dreg Lambic, Brett Trois Helles, Carrot Blossom Cedar Mead
Drinking: Rye Berliner Weisse, Sauerkraut Fermented Gose, Lambic, Brett Trois IPA, Brett Blonde, Kriek, Saison, Sour Blonde, RIS
Barrel aged: RIS, Rye Barleywine, Tripel

Old 01-25-2013, 08:24 PM   #36
aarong
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Very interesting thread thanks for the info.

Fermenting: Tripel
Keg: empty
Bottle: empty
Vissani fermentor build

Old 01-25-2013, 09:45 PM   #37
jtejedor
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

So I guess 75 seconds is the sweet spot then? From dstars chart it appears thicker worts need up to 90 seconds or longer. Good info I usually go 60 seconds because that is the info that came with my kit but I have had it for like 4 or 5 years maybe that is old info. 60 seconds seems to work.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:38 PM   #38
Gavagai
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Any idea what 1 L/min or 3 L/min looks like?

Old 01-26-2013, 01:21 AM   #39
Rundownhouse
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've posted before about testing wort with a DO meter. My SOP is to give ales 60s full throttle flow with one of the disposable tank/regulator setups, big ales/lagers 90s, and big lagers 120s. If I remember right, I got a PPM of ~15 on a BoPils at about 50F after 120s, and something like 12ppm on an ale at 60s.

One thing to keep in mind is that the meters vary wildly on how reliable they are at reading different things. Some meters don't do well with oxygenated wort but are great with finished beer, some can do both gas and liquid, etc. Knowing your DO meter comes with everyday use-type experience that's just really hard to get outside of a professional brewing setting.

I'm... skeptical... of something reading 300ppm. Maybe dstar meant ppb?

Old 01-26-2013, 02:25 AM   #40
Demus
Recipes 

Liked 154 Times on 126 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by itzkramer
I would also like to see readings for the following:

Shaking with the headspace filled with pure oxygen.

Pouring back and forth between 2 buckets.

The siphon sprayer nozzle from Midwest.

Thanks for taking the time to run your tests and posting the results. Greatly appreciated.
I'd like to see these too. I did read in "Yeast" that air only has 8 ppm or so, making it impossible to get more than 8 with any non-O2 method. Being involved in both aviation and scuba diving, I understand a bit about how gasses diffuse into liquids. Basically the bigger the differential (called partial pressure) the faster the rate of diffusion. So if you target is 8-12 ppm, you can only get to the minimum of your target and it will take a LONG time to get there because of the low partial pressure. This fits with test I read done by White Labs that found 5 minutes of "vigorous" shaking only resulted in 2.7 ppm dissolved oxygen. I believe this is one of the biggest causes of problem fermentations among newer brewers.

Quick Reply