Need help making BIG starter!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I hate having to ask this, but I couldn't find exactly what I wanted from the search option.

I'm about to make my first lager (11g of 1.048 Helles) and only have one vial of WLP830. I have (2) 2L flasks, a couple of growlers, and am considering finding a couple of 1 gallon jugs if necessary.

Mr Malty says I need ~5.5L w/ intermittent shaking (don't have a stirplate yet), and I'm wondering what is the best way to go about this given my equipment. Also, I *might* have my conical setup by the time we brew this, but if not, how would you split the starter up into two equal portions for using carboys?

Thanks in advance! :mug:

Maybe in a 1gal jug, do a 3L starter, let that ferment, remove liquid keeping yeast cake, make some more wort, put that on the yeast cake, and then do it again after that ferments.

That should end up with plenty of yeast shouldn't it?

Maybe in a 1gal jug, do a 3L starter, let that ferment, remove liquid keeping yeast cake, make some more wort, put that on the yeast cake, and then do it again after that ferments.

That should end up with plenty of yeast shouldn't it?

Yeah that sounds reasonable. How would you go about stepping it up? I would think going straight to 3L from the vial wouldn't be good, no?

Won't hurt anything. The vial surely has enough cells for that volume of wort. Me, I'd build it from one flask to two flasks to growler, etc., then decant the spent starter wort to collect the slurry.

Because pitching slurry is the best idea for lagers; I never understood the idea of pitching massive starters; that only tends to dilute the main wort.

Bob

You could:
1. make a 2 liter starter with your 1 vial
- This will give you about 2.6 vials worth of yeast
2. make a 2 liter starter with the slurry from above
- This will give you about 4.5 vials worth of yeast
3. make a 3 liter starter with the above slurry
- this should put you close to the 7.6 vials of slurry needed. possibly more than 7.6

or

1. make a 3 liter starter to get 3 vials worth
2. make a 5.5 liter starter to get 7.6 vials worth to pitch

I'm not sure which option will make the healthiest yeast though.

Back