Is my yeast starter OK?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Majd

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm brewing a porter this Saturday. Using WLP002, I made a 3 liter starter, the started was 1.045 OG pitched the yeast and started steer plate. After 24 hours good bubbling and activity, but the yeast is swimming in the liquid as chunks not in solution, see video.
What does that mean? Is my starter OK?
Thanks

starter.jpg

It looks fine. I think the wlp002 vial will mention that this strain in particular will stick together and form clumps like that due to being highly flocculent.

totally normal. I think everyone was a little freaked out the first time they made a starter with 002. It's super flocculant, so they stick together once they are pretty much done fermenting. When using it, it doesn't hurt to give your fermentor a shake every once in a while the first few days to make sure it doesn't floc out too early and leave you with fermentable sugars. Great yeast, i've got a starter on the stir plate now for an ordinary bitter i'm brewing sunday. Gonna harvest the yeast from that batch to use on the next few beers i'm making. It really makes a good beer, and is versatile. ferment it cool and it is nice and clean but leaves some body behind, ferment it warm and it adds that nice "british" character.

Back