Mold? Would you keg this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coohang

Reaction score
Hey all - quick question on a pale ale (6.2% abv) fermented with super San Diego yeast (at 64F). This was a 10 gal batch, kegged half, dry hopped the other with 1 oz of cascade pellets.

Below are pics of the dry hopped half after 7 days. Stuff on top really looks like mold. Would you bother kegging it? It doesn't smell bad...

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1410278780.633422.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1410278796.752301.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

That looks like a brett infection, certainly not mold. Keg at your own peril - you risk cross-contaminating everything the beer comes in contact with.

I agree it looks like a pellicle forming so there's some contamination. While I'm not a real fan of sour's and such I do think I'd let it run it's course since its already on it. I do actually like quite a few brews from Jester King, some of which use Brett. Who knows, it may be tasty eventually... I'm sure there's a few folks on this forum that would think it's "good to go".

Looks lacto infection to me. I would leave it in the fermentor and forget about it for 6 to 8 months. Then give it a taste and see if you like it. It may turn out very good, or it may turn out very bad.

If you do like it, I would bottle it instead of kegging it unless you want to dedicate a keg to sour beers.

Drink it and let us know how it tastes. AFAIK, you can't get sick from anything that shows up in your fermenter.

I agree with letting is sour for 6 months and see what happens, or you could try to siphon it off, then cold crash it, see if the particles drop out and give it a taste.
If it tastes good, you could bottle, let it condition, then heat pasturize by putting the bottles in a hot water bath. Or just drink it quickly.

Back