Looking for bubblegum flavors in hefe.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IrishBrewer74

Reaction score
My first batch of beer ever was a hefe and it had a good combination of banana and bubblegum flavors yet I have not been able to replicate it since. I used wyeast 3068 everytime and get plenty of banana but not that bubblegum I am looking for. I have pitched cold for clove and warm for banana but to no avail for the gum. Any recommendations?

What are the fermentation temperatures you've tried? Ester formation from wheat beer yeasts are largely tied to fermentation temperature, pitching rate, and wort O2

I've pitched as high as 80, Fermented at about 70 (ambient), aerated about the same, and pitched same amount of yeast. I've slowly increased pitch and ferment temps every time.

I have seen an interview with a guy from wyeast who talks about fermenting on the low end for banana and on the high end for clove, which is the opposite of what you are saying. He also talks about under pitching for banana flavor and overpitching for clove. The pitch determines the flavor and the ferm temp determins the intensity of it.

Maybe underpitch and ferment on the high end?

You know, now that I think about it.. Aren't Centennial hops sometimes perceived as bubblegum or fruit loops?

Back