Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Kolsch yeast early activity - too early?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2011, 03:17 PM   #1
Sasquatchbreath
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Kolsch yeast early activity - too early?

I did my first starter using a stir plate. It sat on the plate about 2 days then I didn't have time to brew so I sat it in the keezer. I pulled it back out, dumped the liquid then made another and let it sit on the plate another 2 days. Put it in the keezer for a day and a half and used it last night.

First of all, the wort itself (NB Extract Kolsch) was pretty foamy after aeration compared to the few others I have done. There was an inch or more of foam on the top prior to adding the yeast. The wort had the correct OG but there was much more sediment in the sample that I expected.

After putting the yeast in I saw airlock activity begin in less than 2 hours. Weird. It is going crazy now (about 16-17 hours later).

I'm still a rookie but this is a strange brew.

Is this normal for Kolsch?

By the way - does anyone else put a magnet outside the bottom of the flask to make sure the stirbar doesn't pour in to the wort?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2011, 03:41 PM   #2
Zixxer10R
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

My recent Kolsch yeast batch was incredibly lazy, i only had a 1/4" krausen.

Old 08-23-2011, 04:02 PM   #3
altenmuenster
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My Koelsch was the first time I used a starter, I also stuck it in the fridge for a day or two before brewing with no ill effects. Fermentation took off like a rocket. Can't be much different than pitching a vial of WL yeast I should think.

I guess some might say you left it open to infection in the refrigerator (but was it more open to infection than it was on the stir plate?) I think you are alright.

Primary:
Kegged:

Old 08-24-2011, 02:13 AM   #4
Sasquatchbreath
Recipes 

Still going like mad. My only real concern is it took less than 2 hours to take off. I wonder if I hit the wrong timing on the yeast. That said... Maybe I hit the perfect timing?

Quick Reply