I am liking notty more and more

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BWN

Reaction score
I have used notty in porters before but nothing else. Lately I have been using it in IPA's and APA's and they are turning out great. Maybe I am just getting better at brewing but I really think it is the yeast. Plus you can't beat the price and I don't have to make a starter.:D

+1. I use notty for 75% of my beers now. I love all the beers types that it doesn't well with and its alcohol tolerance level.

I've been brewing w/a friend who always used Notty and I wasn't impressed. But, he always fermented Warm.... I tried several Ambers w/US-05 and I didn't like the Peach.

But, when I fermented Notty at low 60's I really liked it. I gave my friend all my US-05

Next ~ one of the local Craft Breweries in the Area uses US-04 and Ive always liked their beers... Gonna try that in some Ambers as well.

Yea, I have been using a lot of 04 and 05 and will have to give notty a shot. It flocs like 04 and attenuates more like 05...perhaps best of both?

I was skeptical of Notty at first but the price won me over so I grabbed a handful a while back. I ran through my 05 and thought, oh, do I really want to try some english style yeast made in Austria? Tried it and love it. I get fast starts with low FGs and lots of floc and the flavor's fine for my west coast tastes, fermed in the low 60s.

Just pulled the first draft of a stout and was thinking...dang, gotta use this yeast more often....I fermented right at 60 after a nice thick krausen had started....I used to use this yeast all the time but got drawn away by all the other nice dry yeasts, as well as a few of the liquids...I think I am going to pitch a lot of the nottingham this spring....

Awesome! I used Notty for my very first non-kit beer due to the low cost and my lack of experience with liquid yeasts. I also decided it would be the first yeast I tried to rinse and re-use.

I just successfully used my first of 4 mason jars of rinsed Notty, and am thinking I picked a pretty good strain to have as my go-to yeast. Both the original and rinsed yeast fermented like champs.

Just kegged a Mild. Yeast cake was tight and compact. I had to do soem work to lift it off the bottom of the fermenter. And that was from less than two weeks!!

I saved it for a stout I plan on brewing as soon as I can get the time.

You guys are referring to the dry Notty right? is it the same strain as the White Labs silver labeled liquid yeast named Nottingham.

I always use liquid yeast. Could you be more specific to brand name please?

I use Notty often for my stouts. For best results keep the fermentation temp between 62 and 64 F. Notty isn't very good when fermented too hot.

seeing how my basement is around 56 to 58 right now it is the perfect time for this yeast. I am fermenting around 60-61 without any kind of fermentation control.

I have only used it twice, the first time it was for the whole batch and the second time I split it to use both notty and WLP001. In the Irish Red I brewed more people liked the beers with the Cal Ale WLP001 in it. But I did enjoy seeing how the different yeasts changed the taste.

I use it for most all my American ales. It works great. I've got some washed off of a yeast cake and a starter gets it going full throttle it no time.

I've never used it but it sounds like it has the qualities I like: clean and highly flocculent. Might have to give it a shot on an IPA or brown ale soon.

Back