Is this to hot?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hero21

Reaction score
Hi
I'm a new brewer, but I've been very lucky and had a number of very good results after following instructions exactly.
However this last brew I followed advise of local brew shop plus had a few heat issues and just wondering if any of you experts could share a little advise on the following:
I used a off the shelf tin of coopers pale ale, on advise of brew shop substituted the tin yeast for safale us-05. This says temp range 12-25c ideal 15-22c. I also added light dry malt. Wort was very warm. The yeast was added at 33c (instructions on tin said this is more important than waiting for ideal temp as wort could spoil...) since adding yeast I have reduced temp but I am struggling to get below 26-27c. I live in Brisbane Australia...
The brew was put on 3 days ago. First day saw some slow bubbling but now on day 3 everything seems to have stopped? Is this beer going to fail and is there any advise anyone could provide. If it's a case of just waiting that's fine, I just want to ask early to see if there is something I should be doing now in this situation.

Greetings, welcome to the site. First of all those instructions are crap. Cooling the wort is critical, in fact temperature control is maybe the most important factor in brewing.
The reason the beer quit bubbling so soon is that it's probably finished(take a hydrometer reading to know for sure)due to the high temp. I try to ferment at the low end of the recommended temp range. Your beer will not be great, but it can maybe be salvaged. Leave it in the fermenter for at least a couple of weeks longer than recommended, the yeast and time will help clean up the byproducts like fusels created by the high fermentation temp. For the next batch figure a way to chill the wort as cool as possible and to keep the fermenter as cool as possible. Put the fermenter in a large bucket of water and use ice or frozen water bottles to cool the water. Wrap a towel around the fermenter, put it in a bucket of water and use a fan to evaporate the water from the towel-it will chill your fermenter up to 6 degrees. There are lots of other cheap ways to keep it cool.

hot fermentation is the worst of all worlds and the resulting beer is very often full of weird flavors. the only thing to do now is wait it out and see what you get or (what i would do) dump it and try again. dumping beer, even bad beer, is not popular on these forums but it's up to you to decide if you like the beer or not.

It looks like the general instructions for all the kits at Coopers web site is better than what was included with your kit.
http://us.diybeer.com/category_s/1832.htm

Temperatures are more realistic. Primary time is very short, but they do hint a longer primary time would improve the beer.
Substituting spraymalt for the sugar isn't in the general instructions though.

Your homebrew store guy was right in giving you a different yeast.

On Coopers site they say to not use the standard yeast with the kit if spraymalt replaces the sugar. Would need Coopers Premium Gold yeast in that case.

First time I heard of no chill brewing was on this site from a poster living in Australia. Basically because of the summer heat, letting the wort sit overnight until it cooled to pitching temperature.

Give your beer at least a few weeks in the primary. Drink your hydrometer samples to see how it is going. They will be warm and flat, but may give you an idea if you will have a problem with fusel alcohols. Bottle conditioning and carbonation will change the final flavor a lot.

The short answer to your title question is:

Heck yes, 33*C is way too hot. With US-05, you want to pitch into 16*C wort and start fermenting at 18*C.

Rito, and wow, thanks to you all the help!
Think I'll keep going, no a fan of chucking beer and it's all learning...I've compared notes again.. Website different to coopers instructions.. Had/ have the towel around that's how I got it down to 26... Ice blocks under towel too. Out of interest if I cool it now by putting in a bath with ice water will that help or am I best to now just try and keep constant?

Hey all just a quick update. Rotating ice packs and continuing to wet towel down to 23/24c. But in an interesting turn of events I moved the fermenter this morning and in doing so noticed two things:
1) there is definitely yeast still growing around the top of the fermenting wort.
2) more interestingly, that as I moved the fermenter the airlock bubbled, but when I let it go instead of bubbling back it just quickly leveled out. I think there may be an issue with the seal and maybe the airlock was working when all the co2 was too much for the gap...

So my question now is, do I leave as is or take lid off and look to seal properly?

The other brews were fine but in following instructions to the letter, this time I removed and sanitised the o ring and airlock grommet from the lid, so perhaps I have not created a perfect seal. (As well as adding the yeast way to hot.!)

I do not think you are going to get what you are expecting but also do not think it will be a bad beer, definitely not bad enough to toss out. Reducing the temperature during active fermentation could make the yeast slow down. Try to keep the temperature stable until fermentation is complete. Even if there are some off flavors after bottling/kegging and carbonation, they may dissipate with a little aging.

I'll do a sg today. The pack says to bottle once sg is same after two days, can I confirm where in earlier posts I was advised to leave for another couple of weeks to remove any nastys given of in fermentation at such high temps. Is that recommended even if the sg is the same over two days or am I best to bottle as soon as I have the same sg?
Thanks everyone!

I'll do a sg today. The pack says to bottle once sg is same after two days, can I confirm where in earlier posts I was advised to leave for another couple of weeks to remove any nastys given of in fermentation at such high temps. Is that recommended even if the sg is the same over two days or am I best to bottle as soon as I have the same sg?
Thanks everyone!

you can bottle when you have a stable gravity but not because you must do it that way. if you wait another week it won't matter either way. just to be clear, if you really did have a hot ferment that created fusel alcohols they will not age out.

you can bottle when you have a stable gravity but not because you must do it that way. if you wait another week it won't matter either way. just to be clear, if you really did have a hot ferment that created fusel alcohols they will not age out.
I had an imperial stout get up to 85F for at least a day-when it got to FG it tasted more like kerosene than beer, but after three more weeks in primary it was smooth as mama's milk.

Also S05 can finish the initial ferment quickly. Just because it's done bubbling after a few days doesn't mean it's done. I've had it stop bubbling after 2-3 days, then I give it 2-3 weeks in primary before I do anything.

Latest posts

Back