High FG with Safale-05

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scraggybeard

Reaction score
Brewed the Left Hand Milk Stout clone found here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f68/left-hand-milk-stout-clone-139820/
I measured a SG OF 1.073, pitched Safale-05, and now ~3weeks later it's at 1.032. I understand the lactose may increase FG a bit, but even then I'd expect it to be around 1.2x. My question is whether pitching another packet of US-05 would do any harm. Would it be recommended? I'll eventually be kegging it so I'm not worried about bottle bombs, just want to make sure it doesn't end up too sweet (even for a milk stout). I also mashed at 158*, would that increase unfermentables that much?

The high mash temp and the lactose could result in an FG that high. How much lactose did you use for what I can assume was a 5 gallon batch? I wouldn't pitch another pack of yeast at this point. If possible raise the temp a little and let it ride for another week or so.

Big question is how does it taste to you?

1# lactose, ended up being 4.5gal into the primary. Swirled a few days ago and stayed at 1.032. It's fermenting in a downstairs bathroom, ambient temp is probably around 68F.

Thanks for all the responses! Yeah, tastes pretty good, though sweet...can't tell if it's me subconsciously knowing FG is high so all I taste is sweet or if it's normal sweetness. What do you mean by "force ferment"?

That's more than within the realm of possibility. Save your yeast, don't pitch more. Bottle or keg and serve.

Make sure to do a forced ferment on your next batch. It's a good practice after any unusual final gravity results, but not on every batch. It will reveal deeper problems.

Latest posts

Back