Gradually step up fermentation temp?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morbster

Reaction score
I brewed roughly 5gal of a pale ale last week (OG 1.059) and it has chugging along for the past 6 days at around 59-61F (ambient temp, don't currently have access to a thermometer strip). My airlock activity has stopped, and I was wondering if it was general practice to maintain the current ferm temp or if stepping it up a couple degrees each day was acceptable.

Because I've been fermenting on the low side, I thought it may help with the last few gravity points if the temperature gradually increased.

Sent from my spaceship in low orbit.

Depends on your yeast. Nottingham does great at that temperature and doesn't really require step increases to do any additional fermenting. I can't say it hurts to do it though.

Thanks for the quick replies, guys. For what it's worth, I'm using US-05.

US-05 does as well as Nottingham at those temperatures so while raising the temperatures wouldn't hurt, I don't think it's really necessary. I use US-05 quite frequently and usually just let it ride for 21 days and done.

I second what mblanks said. Unless you have an extremely high flock lent strain or a yeast that for some other reason tends to stall I would just let it go at current temp. It's also easier to monitor and get notes for later brews sine you take away the temperature factor.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Home Brew mobile app

US-05 (Chico) and Notty both stay in suspension quite nicely. Whereas highly flocculent English yeast can decide to drop out if a cool breeze blows by the fermenter for a second. Bumping the temperature helps keep the yeast motivated in all cases. Us-05 and Notty are just less sensitive and needy.

US-05 (Chico) and Notty both stay in suspension quite nicely. Whereas highly flocculent English yeast can decide to drop out if a cool breeze blows by the fermenter for a second. Bumping the temperature helps keep the yeast motivated in all cases. Us-05 and Notty are just less sensitive and needy.

I don't want to thread jack, but are you saying that US-05 and Chico are the same yeast?

I would also be careful raising the temp with us-05, I've experienced some pretty terrible off flavors at mid-high temps

They are. US-05 is the dry version.

I had no idea. Great to know.

I would also be careful raising the temp with us-05, I've experienced some pretty terrible off flavors at mid-high temps

& I agree. I like my US-05 at the low end around 59*F - 61*F. No higher than 63*F -64*F.

Thanks for the input. I had just stepped up the temp to 64, but I'll go ahead and drop it to 62 or so until my FG stabilizes.

Back