Ferment Fridge at 55 degrees... this ok?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cebo40

Reaction score
Ok, got the mini fridge rigged up for the carboy ferment.

What I did is folded the ice tray to the back of the fridge, and put the thermostat for the fridge itself in contact with the ice tray. This way the thermostat is at the coldest spot possible, turning the compressor off more frequently and making the fridge as warm as possible. I've got it on the warmest setting.

I dropped an external thermo in there and we're at 55 degrees F. I've got an Indian Pale Ale ready to brew and wanted to know if an ambient of 55 is ok? With yeast tumbling, the brew itself should be 5-8 degrees warmer, putting me around 63 degrees F?

For an IPA, am I going to be too cold for ferment?

Ok, got the mini fridge rigged up for the carboy ferment.

What I did is folded the ice tray to the back of the fridge, and put the thermostat for the fridge itself in contact with the ice tray. This way the thermostat is at the coldest spot possible, turning the compressor off more frequently and making the fridge as warm as possible. I've got it on the warmest setting.

I dropped an external thermo in there and we're at 55 degrees F. I've got an Indian Pale Ale ready to brew and wanted to know if an ambient of 55 is ok? With yeast tumbling, the brew itself should be 5-8 degrees warmer, putting me around 63 degrees F?

For an IPA, am I going to be too cold for ferment?

I think that's probably too cold. Though I've heard Nottingham can work pretty cold, so you might consider using that. The only time the beer would be 5-8 degrees warmer is at the very height of active fermentation, and if you are ferementing at 55, it will probably be going so slowly that it won't produce that much heat all at once. I would get an external thermostat like this:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00862G3TQ/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

or this: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002EAL58/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure on Yeast. It's at the house but it came with the True Brew Indian Pale Ale extract kit.

I'm on the way to the brew store to pick up an external thermo. Sounds like the best option for my situation.

Thanks guys!

Ok, went with the Johnson A19. Got it set on 68 and my temperature is running in the 64-68 range. I think we's ready to go!

Thanks for the help!

Ok, went with the Johnson A19. Got it set on 68 and my temperature is running in the 64-68 range. I think we's ready to go!

Thanks for the help!

Is that the beer temp or the air inside the chamber? If it's the beer temp, 64-65 will be fine to start. 68-69 to finish.

Is that the beer temp or the air inside the chamber? If it's the beer temp, 64-65 will be fine to start. 68-69 to finish.

This was air temp. Got a A19 temp regulator and i'm right in the 60-63 temp range.

When to up with the temperature? Going to ferment around 3 weeks. At day 4 now.

This was air temp. Got a A19 temp regulator and i'm right in the 60-63 temp range.

When to up with the temperature? Going to ferment around 3 weeks. At day 4 now.

When it starts to slow down is when I begin bumping the temp.

With the controller, do you have the probe attached to the fermenter or just hanging in the air? You want to read beer temp, so tape the probe to the side of the fermenter and cover it up with some bubble wrap so that the reading isn't affected by the air temp (which is lower during active ferment).

When it starts to slow down is when I begin bumping the temp.

With the controller, do you have the probe attached to the fermenter or just hanging in the air? You want to read beer temp, so tape the probe to the side of the fermenter and cover it up with some bubble wrap so that the reading isn't affected by the air temp (which is lower during active ferment).

Yes it's taped to the side of the carboy with tape and bubble wrap. Not sure how precise it is (assuming within 2 degrees).

Latest posts

Back