Dry yeast shelf life

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stored at room temp, I'd say it's toast. Stored in a fridge you might be OK. That being said, I'd probably buy new yeast.

You are looking at one to two years, properly stored. Unless getting more is highly inconvenient, I would toss it and get more. Otherwise make a starter to check viability.

Dug this up on Lallemand website:

Response from Dr. Clayton Cone:
Active Dry Yeast, at <5% moisture, is originally packaged in an oxygen free atmosphere either via nitrogen flush or vacuum. Under these conditions they will loose about 20% activity / year when stored at 20C.(68F) and about 5% activity / year when stored at 4C.(40F). It is the presence of Oxygen and the pick up of small amounts of moisture that causes the yeast to deteriorate at a faster rate, once the package has been opened. If you can vacuum pack (kitchen vacuum package equipment)or store in an air tight container and refrigerate you may retain a substantial amount of the activity. It would be wise to increase the inoculum 50% to be on the safe side. It is always a gamble, depending on how much moisture the cells have picked up each time you open and close the package and return to the refrigerator.

I'd still vote for getting new yeast though.

Thanks guys. I will take your advice and not use the old yeast. It's to cheap not to buy new yeast as opposed to risking a batch of beer. Thanks to all

Latest posts

Back