Does light affect starters?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruger988

Reaction score
Did a quick search and didn't find anythign so this may be a dumb question but...

Grabbed a starter and gave it a little swirl today and realized I'd never even considered the fact that I left them out in the open before. Sunlight obviously affects beer but was curious if it had any noticeable affects on starters? If so, would it have more or less of an impact if you decanted before pitching or not?

I'm no scientist, but the component of beer that is adversely impacted by light is in the hops. I think you should be ok with a starter. In fact I am 99.9% sure you're fine as I know brewers who use clear glass jars/flasks, and leave them out in the light of day. That said, there might be some strain or some situation in which this doesn't apply so I welcome any corrections :)

Well ****, I knew that, brain fart, haha. Guess I was thinking that the yeast could be adversly affected by UV light, but you're right.. its the hops that are "skunked" by UV.

Haha, we're all learning. Some of us (myself included) learn the same thing a few times over!

I'm no scientist, but the component of beer that is adversely impacted by light is in the hops. I think you should be ok with a starter. In fact I am 99.9% sure you're fine as I know brewers who use clear glass jars/flasks, and leave them out in the light of day. That said, there might be some strain or some situation in which this doesn't apply so I welcome any corrections :)

You are correct. Cold crash and decant to prevent off flavored from the starter wort as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back