Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Didnt take yeast out of the fridge till rifht b4 pitching

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2013, 10:21 AM   #1
goofy810
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Didnt take yeast out of the fridge till rifht b4 pitching

So brewing our first batch on sat using a blickman conical. We transferred the wort to the fermenter the took the yeast out of the fridge and read the tube where it said remove from fridge 3 to 5 hours b4 pitching, we had to pitch as we would be out of town Sunday so went ahead and pitched the wort temp was around 68deg. Should we be ok or do I need to get more yeast today and re-pitch, it's a stainless fermenter and has a blow off so I can't see to know if it is good or not for a few more days till the head space fills up. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2013, 10:51 AM   #2
glugglug
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts

You're ok. But that's not a good practice. It stresses the yeast to go from such extremes. Would have been better to put it in your pocket for a while.

Old 05-06-2013, 11:14 AM   #3
goofy810
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by glugglug View Post
You're ok. But that's not a good practice. It stresses the yeast to go from such extremes. Would have been better to put it in your pocket for a while.
Cool so no need to get more yeast today to pitch. Yeah from now on we will take it out of the fridge when we start the brew process. This was our first time. Thanks for the info

Old 05-06-2013, 11:35 AM   #4
glugglug
Recipes 

Too soon to panic. Just roll with it for now. I have probably done the same thing early on. It is a good practice to have some dry yeast on hand. Especially if you don't make a starter. Having said that, I don't have any. But I make starters. One of the big risks with your yeast is that you don't know how good it was when you bought it. A starter could have let you know.

Bottom line is don't worry about it yet. Probably fine, but not ideal.

Old 05-09-2013, 03:27 AM   #5
glugglug
Recipes 

So how's your fermentation coming?

Old 05-09-2013, 08:11 AM   #6
goofy810
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by glugglug View Post
So how's your fermentation coming?
Seems to be working its hard to see bubbling with the 14.5 gal blickman conical and only brewing 6 gal and its a low alcohol batch also but the SG has changed to close to the expected final so I'm thinking we are good.

Quick Reply