DFH local brewing competition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Native302

Reaction score
OK, here's the deal. The local brew club sponsored by Dogfish Head is having a mad brewers competition. DFH is providing a yeast strain that they use but not telling the competitors what it is, and the competitors have to brew a beer and have it turned in by May 13, 2011. Sam and the brewmasters at DFH will be the judges and the winner will have their beer reproduced and put on tap at the brewpub in Rehoboth, DE. I have been luck enough to get one of these big ass packages of liquid yeast and have no clue what to brew with it. There is no info at all given about this yeast.

I'm totally open for any and all ideas at this point.

Thanks in advance all!

can you supply more than one entry ? I think a simple single hop pale ale and something on the darker end of the spectrum (stout?) to cover your bases. Do you have a link for this or is it a locals only comp ? I would love to get my hands on some of that yeast

I've heard from some club members say that this is a spicy, estery type of yeast. So I don't know what to brew.

The site says it will be an ale yeast and that they will provide fermentation temps and alcohol tolerance...???

The site says it will be an ale yeast and that they will provide fermentation temps and alcohol tolerance...???

I haven't received that info yet, but will check at the brewpub today and see what's up. I'm thinking that if may be ringwood yeast. They use that in their 60 min IPA.

OK so here is what they gave me regarding the mystery yeast.

Homebrew Yeast:

The mystery ingredient that will help you produce a most awe-inspiring beer, will be yeast. The yeast that has been chosen by Dogfish for you to use is will be called mystery X? This yeast will produce a pretty estery beer. There will be hints of pepper, citrus and have a somewhat spicy character. You may want to use the additions of spices and use hops that aromatic? Will produce a very attenuated finish beer. Lastly, it will leave you with a smooth and full bodied beer in the mouthfeel.

Flocculation on this yeast will be low

Attenuation between 77-83%

Fermentation temps 65-77dF

Alcohol should be limited to below 12abv

That is word for word on the yeast profile I received. Any ideas on a recipe would be helpful to me it sounds like a Saison or White Labs WLP565

Any help is most appreciated! Thanks all

Homebrew Yeast:

The mystery ingredient that will help you produce a most awe-inspiring beer, will be yeast. The yeast that has been chosen by Dogfish for you to use is will be called mystery X? This yeast will produce a pretty estery beer. There will be hints of pepper, citrus and have a somewhat spicy character. You may want to use the additions of spices and use hops that aromatic? Will produce a very attenuated finish beer. Lastly, it will leave you with a smooth and full bodied beer in the mouthfeel.

That is word for word on the yeast profile I received. Any ideas on a recipe would be helpful to me it sounds like a Saison or White Labs WLP565

Definitely sounds Belgian...You could do a Golden Strong, a Tripel, or a Saison. I really don't like spicing Belgians, no matter what they suggest. Let the yeast speak, especially as it is supposed to be the highlight of this brew.

You could also do a badass Belgian IPA :rockin:

Decide what direction you want to go in and we can help from there. If you don't have it already, Brew Like a Monk is a great resource. I've been on a bit of a Belgian kick lately so I love this! I have brewed a Belgian Pale Ale, a Golden Strong, and a Dubbel in the last couple of months and more to come.

BTW, congrats on actually getting some of this yeast, I saw they only had about 40 samples to give out. You should make a big ass starter, wash, and split it so you have plenty...you could slant it and share with all of us who help you win this competition :D

Homebrew Yeast:

Estery? Spicy? 80+ % Attenuation?

Can you say saison?

I made this back in February, and have been drinking it like crazy.

It's a saison with Nelson Sauvin hops. It's only about 5.6% AA, and low on the IBUs. But it's super dry and packs a ton of flavor for a relatively small beer. I also dry hop with one ounce of the NS hops. You get lots of mango, over ripe pineapples and passion fruit.

The batch I brewed the hops dominated the yeast a shade, so next time I make it the dry hopping is only going to last for 3 days.

6.5 Gallons
76% Efficiency
O.G. 1.050
F.G. ????
ABV ??%
Color 7 SRM
15 IBUs

Malts and Fermentables

5lbs. Belgian Pils
3lbs. American 2-Row
2lbs. White Wheat Malt
1lb. Table Sugar
.25lbs Special B Malt 180L

Hops

1 oz. Willamette Hops 5.5%AA 20 minutes
0.5 oz. Nelson Sauvin Hops 12.4% AA 10 minutes
0.5 oz. Nelson Sauvin Hops 12.4% AA 5 minutes
1 oz. Nelson Sauvin Hops 12.4%AA Dry Hop - 7 days

Mash for 90 minutes at 147. Do a 90 minute boil to blow off any DMS. It's mostly Belgian Pils. The 2 row adds a slight breadiness, and the wheat makes for a nice mouthfeel and the beer leaves some serious lacing. The table sugar is to help it dry out. And the special B is for color.

I fermented it with 3711.

A Belgian IPA sounds awesome! I think I'll go that route cause DFH already does a couple saison's and I think that most might try and go that route, with adding fruits, spices, and what not. I want to do something different. Going to go all grain, hops I have in stock are 2lb willamette, 1lb cascade, 1lb amarillo. I can pick grains up tomorrow so I'm open for ideas. I'm thinking

5 gallon batch

4lb 2 row
4lb belgian pils
1lb malt wheat
.5 oz crystal 20L
1lb candy sugar

thinking about hops at the moment. let me know if you all have ideas. And I'll be more that happy to start a big ass starter to share. Just have to figure out shipping.

I made this Belgian IPA last June. It has a lot of the same hops you have on hand. My only complaint is that it ended up a shade dryer than I had hoped. If I make it again it's going to get mashed at 153. So you may consider killing that sugar addition. Especially considering the attenuation level of that yeast.

O.G. 1.059

F.G. 1.010

IBUs 61

Grain Bill

5 lbs. Belgian Pils

1 lb. Torrified Wheat

1 lb. 60L Crystal

4 lb. Munich

Mash at 151 for 1 hour.

Hop Schedule

1 oz. Warrior Hop Pellets 15.8% AA - 1 hour

2 oz. Amarillo Hop Pellets 8.6% AA - 10 minutes

2 oz. Willamette Hop Pellets 3.4%AA - 1 minute

2 oz. Willamette Hop Pellets Dry Hop - 8 Days

1 oz. Amarillo Hop Pellets Dry Hop - 8 Days

Sacchromycese - WLP575 White Labs Belgian Ale Blend

OK I've brewed and have some questions. Here is what I brewed

Ole Zion Church Saison

5lbs 2 row Belgian Pilsner
3lbs Maris Otter
2lbs White Wheat
4oz Aromatic
4oz Biscuit

Mash in 11.55 qt at 164 Hold at 148 for 75 min
Batch sparge .46 gal
Batch sparge 2.08 gal
Batch sparge 2.08 gal

Ended up with about 6 1/4 gallons pre-boil gravity reading of 1.067

90 min boil

.5 oz Magnum 90 min
1 lb amber candi sugar 60 min
Whirlfloc tablet 15 min
1 oz hallertauer mittelfrueh 10 min
1 oz coriander seed crushed 5 min
1 oz sweet orange peel 5 min

1 oz hallertauer mittelfrueh at flame out for 20 min rest
1 oz of pink peppercorns at flame out for 20 min rest

cooled to 65 and pitched the mystery yeast (saved a couple tubes for myself)

OG 1.078

Fermented at 65 and let naturally rise to 78 for two weeks. Threw the belt on it for two days to raise to 80 then let it cool itself down to room temp. First time I've checked it was today and it was crystal clear and tasted amazing but a little dry. got a gravity reading of

FG 1.004

Here is my question.

Is this too dry for me to bottle condition?
Will I have to add more yeast for it to carbonate properly in 3 weeks?
If it's too dry, what can I do to sweeten it just a tiny bit?

Thanks all. I Have to bottle it this weekend to have it ready to enter on May 13

OK I've brewed and have some questions. Here is what I brewed

Ole Zion Church Saison

5lbs 2 row Belgian Pilsner
3lbs Maris Otter
2lbs White Wheat
4oz Aromatic
4oz Biscuit

Mash in 11.55 qt at 164 Hold at 148 for 75 min
Batch sparge .46 gal
Batch sparge 2.08 gal
Batch sparge 2.08 gal

Ended up with about 6 1/4 gallons pre-boil gravity reading of 1.067

90 min boil

.5 oz Magnum 90 min
1 lb amber candi sugar 60 min
Whirlfloc tablet 15 min
1 oz hallertauer mittelfrueh 10 min
1 oz coriander seed crushed 5 min
1 oz sweet orange peel 5 min

1 oz hallertauer mittelfrueh at flame out for 20 min rest
1 oz of pink peppercorns at flame out for 20 min rest

cooled to 65 and pitched the mystery yeast (saved a couple tubes for myself)

OG 1.078

Fermented at 65 and let naturally rise to 78 for two weeks. Threw the belt on it for two days to raise to 80 then let it cool itself down to room temp. First time I've checked it was today and it was crystal clear and tasted amazing but a little dry. got a gravity reading of

FG 1.004

Here is my question.

Is this too dry for me to bottle condition?
Will I have to add more yeast for it to carbonate properly in 3 weeks?
If it's too dry, what can I do to sweeten it just a tiny bit?

Thanks all. I Have to bottle it this weekend to have it ready to enter on May 13

The recipe looks great, though I would have held back on the spicing to let the yeast shine. You will never know which flavors are coming from the yeast and which are from the spices and flavors in the recipe. I really like the combination of the Maris and Pilsner for the base. Even though this is really dry, it should still have some backbone, body, and mouthfeel from the MO and wheat. Good solid choice of hops. Looks like a fantastic Saison :mug:

Speaking of yeast, that yeast is a beast! (Sometimes my inner Seuss just has to get out :D)

1004? Holy yeast **** Brewman!!! I have gotten down to 1006, but I harvested yeast from the secondary to select for attenuation. Looks like the combined effects of a low mash temp, added sugar, a super attenuative strain, and your fermentation schedule got you an uber dry beer!!! However, I don't think there is any problem with a beer being "too dry" to bottle condition. There is no less yeast in this beer than any other, they just worked overtime!

I'm not sure how long you have had it in the primary in total, but it doesn't look like its much more than a month, if that. You should have plenty of yeast to do the job so I would not add any at bottling. You might end up with TOO much in the bottle which can contribute overly yeasty flavors. If it got that low it is not a very flocculant strain so there is a ton of yeast in suspension to chow through the priming sugar and carb your beer.

Finally, I would not do anything to try to change the character of this beer. It is what it is, tinkering will only screw it up like the artist who just couldn't stop adding a dab here and a brushstroke there. Leave it alone!

I can't wait to hear how you think this tastes after it has conditioned and you have to share any feedback you get from the competition judges. Break a leg :mug:

Thank you! I'm just nervous, this being my first competition and all. I'm going to take your advise and prime to 3 - 3.1 volumes with priming sugar and let it be. Add nothing and the the Malts and yeast shine through.

I thought it was a "mad brewers comp", not a "figure out what the yeast is and brew to BJCP guidelines comp"...

It's a saison, and per style, they finish dry. Sounds like a great beer, I'm quite partial to saisons.

Mmmm - looks like the same specs I got from the brewer @ Bell's. He said it is happiest around 72degF...

And they use their house yeast on quite a variety of styles.

What is your timeline for the contest? I like the idea of stepping up a huge starter and brewing multiples to see what the yeasties do! Maybe even split each beer and ferment at different temps.

Belgian Pils
Rye
Carafa III

Saaz

tellicherry peppercorns in boil
1/2/3 pounds apricots in secondary
maybe some mint?

Belgian Pils
Rye
Carafa III

Saaz

tellicherry peppercorns in boil
1/2/3 pounds apricots in secondary
maybe some mint?

Thank you for the input but per my previous post

"OK I've brewed and have some questions. Here is what I brewed"

I have brewed my entry already and was looking for input on priming and bottle conditioning, and if it was too dry.

Update: judging was today and My beer took third place out of 29 entries! I'm super stoked, first comp and I placed. Ordinary Belgian wit with coriander and sweet orange peel took first.

Latest posts

Back