Day 2 blow off mess

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silly796

Reaction score
Hi y'all

I did up a Kolsch yesterday and like a dummy went with air-lock and not blow-off. Woke up this morning to a big mess. So I went to put the blow off hose into my carboy, and wouldn't you know it, my stopper fell into the carboy and into my brew. So I put the brew into my plastic fermenter, and am using the carboy as the blow off.

Should I just kiss the whole batch goodbye, or am I safe? I was REALLY clean while transfering to the plastic fermenter.

Thanks!

I've had some ridiculous brewing experiences and no infections yet. A stopper in my beer is the last thing I'd worry about it. Yeast are pretty aggressive and I doubt much else can survive in an active fermentation environment.

You really need to worry about your sanitation post fermentation, making sure to keep that co2 blanket in tact and everything that goes in/near it sanitized. (Not to say prefermentation sanitation isn't important).

Back