Crossbreeding yeast strains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elut

Reaction score
I've always wondered whether or not it would be possible to crossbreed yeast strains.

I remember reading something a while ago, about Cane Yeast strains "crossbreeding" when starved, or when in an environment with low or poor nutrients.

Anyone with biological knowledge to answer my interrogations?

I found the article in question:

Yeasts can reproduce asexually through budding or sexually through the formation of ascospores . During asexual reproduction a new bud grows out of the parent yeast when the condition is right, then after the bud reaches an adult size, it separates from the parent yeast. Under low nutrient conditions, yeasts that are capapable of sexual reproduction will form ascospores.

http://www.ebi.ac.uk/2can/genomes/eukaryotes/Saccharomyces_cerevisiae.html

I just read all about it on wiki. It can be done in a V8 medium. It happens when the yeast cells undergo meiosis from a lack of nutrients. Once that happens they can combine with other haploid cells. Probably something you can do at home but with little control.

Back