The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Capturing yeast from bottle conditioned beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2009, 10:07 AM   #1
MattHollingsworth
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Default Capturing yeast from bottle conditioned beer

Well, did a search on here but couldn't find this topic. Guess too many threads with all the needed keywords.

Anyway, I was just in London for the Great British Beer Festival. While there, I bought some bottle conditioned beers specifically to steal their yeast. I also attended a tutored tasting with bottle conditioned beers that the brewers attended. And I specifically asked all of them if they used the same yeast at bottling, and they all said yes, including the guy from Fullers.

Reading about it online, seems easy. Sounds like I should pour the beer, leave the last couple of ounces, sanitize and flame the lip of the bottle, make a starter and pitch that yeast and treat as I would normally.

I figured might be a good idea to make a slightly weaker starter, maybe aiming at 1.025 or something.

Any extra precautions or info I need about culturing from the bottle?

Incidentally, I brought back 2 bottles of Worthington's White Shield, 1 of Fuller's 1845 and one stout from Hook Norton (as well as 2 Fuller's Vintage Ale, but those are just for aging and drinking).

The Fuller's beer is in the mid 6% abv range. Any worries there? Guess if I give it decent O2 and am using a stirplate and a touch of nutrients, it can do okay.

Thoughts?

Last edited by MattHollingsworth; 08-10-2009 at 10:35 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2009, 10:24 AM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

You have to search for "yeast Harvesting"

Here is what I think is one of the better threads

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/pacm...vesting+pacman

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 08-10-2009, 10:35 AM   #3
MattHollingsworth
Recipes 

Thanks. Same procedure as I thought. Nice and easy!

For me it's an easier way to get British yeast. I tend to go to the UK once a year or something and can buy bottles rather than paying expensive Fedex to me for liquid yeast.

Old 08-10-2009, 10:54 AM   #4
MattHollingsworth
Recipes 

BTW, for anyone traveling to the UK who wants to buy Worthington White Shield for this very purpose, not every place has it. But the LARGE Sainsbury's stores have it. I found it at the Sainsbury's on Cromwell Road at the crossroad of Collingham Road, nearby Earl's Court in London.

Search for this on Yahoo maps. Linking won't work correctly for me at the moment.

Collingham Place, South Kensington, london

Old 08-10-2009, 01:27 PM   #5
MattHollingsworth
Recipes 

Sounds like maybe a smaller initial starter, and weaker one, might be a good idea.

Couple of links I found.

BYO article about this:

Brew Your Own: The How-To Homebrew Beer Magazine - Recipes - Yeast Culturing from Bottles: Techniques

And a resource page which lists various results from different brewers:

Yeasts from Bottle Conditioned Beers

Old 08-10-2009, 02:55 PM   #6
Martin2D
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm struggling with this right now too. I'm trying to culture some yeast from a La Chouffe bottle and I can't really tell if I have yeast growing or whether it's just proteins from the extract boiling. The volumes used are too small to tell whether the stuff has fermented or not too, so who knows whats going on inside my flask.

Old 08-10-2009, 11:52 PM   #7
Bob
Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Watch yourself. Many breweries don't use the primary yeast to seed bottle-conditioned product. You could go to an awful lot of trouble for naught.

In fact, I'm positive White Shield uses a lager yeast for bottle-conditioning!

Good luck, though!

Bob

Brewmaster
Fort Christian Brewpub
St Croix, US Virgin Islands

Old 08-11-2009, 07:49 AM   #8
MattHollingsworth
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NQ3X View Post
Watch yourself. Many breweries don't use the primary yeast to seed bottle-conditioned product. You could go to an awful lot of trouble for naught.

In fact, I'm positive White Shield uses a lager yeast for bottle-conditioning!

Good luck, though!

Bob
If you check one of the links I put up, there's a list of who uses what for bottling. White Shield is listed as likely using a bottling yeast but the results the person got from it are listed as good.

How are you *positive* it's lager yeast? Any link to such information? I've read around a bit now and haven't seen that anywhere but I *have* seen a number of people who've said they had good results.

Not trying to argue for argument's sake. But any links would be appreciated as I try to research this. Thanks for any help.

As for Fuller's, I directly asked them myself, in person, and they said they use the same yeast for primary and bottling.

Hook Norton, I don't know.

Last edited by MattHollingsworth; 08-11-2009 at 07:52 AM.

Old 08-11-2009, 08:01 AM   #9
MattHollingsworth
Recipes 

Aha! Found something. So, they use a second yeast at bottling, but sounds like a highly flocculent strain rather than a lager strain.

From here, Roger Protz...

Worthington White Shield

Quote:
Following primary fermentation, the beer is conditioned in bulk for three weeks and is then bottled with a "sticky" yeast - a different strain to the one used for the first fermentation. The sticky yeast sinks to the bottom of the bottle where it continues to turn the remaining malt sugars into alcohol and carbon dioxide.
And from here, evidently directly from their brewer:

http://www.jimsbeerkit.co.uk/forum/v...2bec4&start=30

Quote:
As far as the yeast is concerned, the yeast you will find in the bottle is a secondary yeast that is put into the beer prior to bottling. It will be more difficult to brew with as it tends to sediment quickly, sometimes before fermentation is complete. This is quite important in a bottle conditioned beer as we want the yeast out of solution when fermentation in bottle is complete, preferably sticking to the bottom of the bottle like glue. Our primary yeast is quite different and is a mixture of two strains.

Last edited by MattHollingsworth; 08-11-2009 at 08:06 AM.

Old 08-11-2009, 10:28 AM   #10
Kauai_Kahuna
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Hey sounds like your on your way.
Personal experience with doing just a few has been to fill the bottle just under halfway up with around 1.030 wort. Shake it up like a crying baby (not nice I know, but it makes the point) a couple of times a day.
Once it is going well I then fill it up just enough to keep it from bursting out with 1.040 wort.
Once that is going well I move out of the original bottle to yeast starter vessels. The only downside to this is that bottle is now a real pain to clean out well for reuse. Being lazy I usually don't unless I really want that bottle.
The good thing is you can chill and decant the wort and taste it to ensure you do not have a bad population. I would recommend doing it at every step up just to not waste time and effort.
Best of luck.

---
In Primary: Belgium Chimay clones.
In Secondary: Braggot, pale ale, end of the world white.
Conditioning: Mead, Cider, braggot, Belgium Wheat.
On Tap: Clones, Chimay Blue, Red, Porter, malted cider.
Bottles: Far, far, too many to list.

Quick Reply