Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Can you use Champagne Yeast for Making Beer?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2009, 03:26 AM   #1
HHH23
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Can you use Champagne Yeast for Making Beer?

Hi i just recently made an aggressive Imperial Stout with an OG of 1.120!! Well being afraid that the yeast i was going to pitch (WY 1028) would 'poop out' before finish fermenting, i added a package of (Red Star Champagne) yeast with the (WY 1028). Does anyone with experience know if this was a mistake or if i can brew this with desirable results? Thank you.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2009, 03:33 AM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2724 Times on 1632 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Many brewers will add champagne yeast later in the fermentation of high grav brews. They usually add it after it appears that fermentation has run down, to drive the beer further. It looks like you added it at the same time.

I don't see why adding it at the same time you added the primary beers train would be any different. You should be fine.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-15-2009, 03:37 AM   #3
HHH23
Recipes 

Thanks, my only concern was either an 'off' flavor, or a complete fermentation of all the sugars leaving the stout 'too dry'.

Old 11-15-2009, 03:42 AM   #4
chefmike
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Really revvy... not stalking you... just hitting the new posts list hard....

you ever seen anyone do a beer on ALL champagne yeast... I have 4 packs with nothing to use it for... unless you have a suggestion?

Dont ask me... (wait wrong thread....!!)

Building: gardens, recipes, and trailer mounted smoker/ wood pizza oven

Old 11-15-2009, 03:57 AM   #5
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefmike View Post

you ever seen anyone do a beer on ALL champagne yeast... I have 4 packs with nothing to use it for... unless you have a suggestion?

Dont ask me... (wait wrong thread....!!)
Actually I was just thinking the same thing. I wonder what it would be like. I think it would be best if one were shooting for a dry beer...But what?

Champagne yeast strikes me as being very clean and dry....so that rules out things that are yeast driven like Belgians...but what about doing a very complex grainbill with a lot of flavors..but high grave. Huge...but taken down very low and dry?

Got me thinking.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-15-2009, 04:06 AM   #6
chefmike
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 10

How about something big with alot of RYE?!

I bought a sack and have some to spare...

just saying!

Building: gardens, recipes, and trailer mounted smoker/ wood pizza oven

Old 11-15-2009, 04:13 AM   #7
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefmike View Post
How about something big with alot of RYE?!

I bought a sack and have some to spare...

just saying!
I just tried my first Rye beer last saturday at teach a neighbor to homebrew day at my LHBS...Talk about dry. You're right, I think rye would be a great candidate for a champagne yeast beer.

Old 11-15-2009, 04:35 AM   #8
HHH23
Recipes 

OK, but have you heard of brewers using this for Stouts?

Old 11-15-2009, 04:36 AM   #9
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHH23 View Post
OK, but have you heard of brewers using this for Stouts?
Honestly, no.....

But that doesn't mean anything...just that you will have to let us know how it turns out.

Old 11-15-2009, 04:45 AM   #10
HHH23
Recipes 

Ya, i deffinetly will do. I brewed and pitched it yesterday, so it may be awhile before i do. But i think it will be important for future inquiries to know the results.

Until Then Anyone out there ever Brewed a Stout with Champagne yeast?

Quick Reply