CA Common - yeast & temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I brewed my first Ca Common recipe this weekend (recipe loosely based on Anchor Steam) and chose WL Cry Havoc Lager strain to ferment. I pitched the yeast at around 68F and plan on bringing the temp down to about 58-60F. Has anyone used this yeast for an ale? What temperature worked best for optimal results? I made a 1L starter and my fermenter is in a temp controlled chamber. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I have never used cry havoc before but I love the name!

I made two 5 gal batches of this recently and used the recommended wlp810 (San Francisco lager) on one, and us-05 on the other. Both were really good but the 810 was a bit cleaner tasting. This is going into my house rotation, probably every 5th batch or so.

Temps were 68-70 for both batches.

I have never used cry havoc before but I love the name!

I made two 5 gal batches of this recently and used the recommended wlp810 (San Francisco lager) on one, and us-05 on the other. Both were really good but the 810 was a bit cleaner tasting. This is going into my house rotation, probably every 5th batch or so.

Temps were 68-70 for both batches.

Thanks for the info. I was planning on using WLP810, but my LHBS was out of stock for a few days. I'll see how the Cry Havoc turns out and might use 810 the next time I brew.

Mine is sitting at around 60F right now and bubbling away. Was thinking about raising the temp later this week, but now I might just keep it at 60F.

Back