Brewer's Best ESB Fermentation question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmitchell3

Reaction score
Brewers!

Just in the middle of my first batch, and all seems to be well but I wanted to check in anyways.

Brewed a batch of Brewer's Best ESB on Saturday the 16th. OG was 1.054 (1.053, adjusted up to 1.054 for 68*F wort temp). Used Nottingham ale yeast, pitched dry at 68*F. The first day worked to drop the temps to 62-64*F.

Active fermentation seemed to drop off by Friday the 22nd, temps increased to a steady 66*F through today (Tuesday 11/26). Tested SG today, result was 1.018 (1.017 adjusted up for 66*F temp). The recipe target is 1.010-1.013.

Current attenuation I calculate at 66.7%, recipe indicated attenuation would be 75.9% (using 1.054 OG and target of 1.013 FG).

I know its only been 10 days, but there we are. Should I raise the temp another 2 degrees to facilitate flocculation? Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Jeremy

Sure, up 2 or 3 degrees can't hurt. If you can sanitize a spoon, gently stirring the yeast back into suspension can help drop it a couple of points also. Try your hardest not to aerate though, be gentle and then put the airlock back on.

Give it another week and check gravity again. Should be ready to be bottled at week 3.

For next time, try hydrating your dry yeast. They should be rarin' to go on munching through the sugar. Also you might want to pick up some Wyeast yeast nutrient. I add 1/4 or 1/2 tsp in every batch and have never had an attenuation issue on moderate gravity brews. :mug:

Back