Bottle or Secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slamback

Reaction score
I brewed a Saison on May 28 (16 days ago), it fermented quite dramatically for about 5 or 6 days and has been at 1.008 (starting from 1.059) for about a week. Normally I would let it sit for at least 3 weeks before bottling, regardless of how early it finished fermenting, but I really want to brew another batch Thursday (need to free up the carboy)...

My question is: should I just go ahead an bottle it now or transfer it to a secondary and let it sit another week & a half. Opinions?

Let it sit. The Saison doesn't care if you want to brew another batch. Leave it on the yeast and be patient. Buy another fermenter if necessary.

You did not mention the yeast you used. If you used 3711 it will drop a couple of more points easily if you leave it. I also found with that yeast it seems to take a long time to clear so I have been doing my saisons with 4-5 weeks in the fermenter. They come out much better.

You can transfer it to a seconday as another option so you can free up the fermenter.

I used WL565. This is my first Saison, so I don't really know what to expect from it. I'll just let it sit in the fermenter... probably will ferment my next batch in the AlePail.

Back