Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Bottle to fermentor?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2012, 12:37 AM   #11
duboman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 466 Times on 433 Posts
Likes Given: 209

Quote:
Originally Posted by biestie
While 40 beers is a few less than you normally get out of a 5 gallon batch, I really don't think it's so low that you should be blowing up bottles. And no hops don't contribute. I'd bet you bottled too early.
First off, OP, hope your doing well

If he used all 5 oz to carbonate ~4 gallons of beer he most certainly over carbonated to the point of bottle bombs. I'm not saying he did or did not verify FG, just clarifying the real possibility.

Bottle bombs are no joke......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 10:46 PM   #12
Chinese
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Could have been a little of both. The recipe called for a yeast that literally "blew out" for 24-36 hours and slowed to a near halt thereafter. I could have bottled early. But I KNOW I skipped the "add water back to the 5 gallon mark" directive. In any event, I'm spooked. Don't know if this is for me. Too many variables of too many types. You screw up a good stew and its still an eatable stew. Screw up a beer and, after a 3-4 month wait, you find it's undrinkable. And I promise you . . . Bottle shrapnel setting off two dozen simultaneous bottle bombs is a "relatively" profound experience.

Old 11-29-2012, 12:01 PM   #13
BrewerBear
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Don't let one time scare you off,unless you don't think you will be able to learn from it and may do it again.Some mentioned bottling to early did you check gravity readings or how long was it in primary?

Old 11-29-2012, 12:38 PM   #14
biestie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by duboman View Post
First off, OP, hope your doing well

If he used all 5 oz to carbonate ~4 gallons of beer he most certainly over carbonated to the point of bottle bombs. I'm not saying he did or did not verify FG, just clarifying the real possibility.

Bottle bombs are no joke......
4 gallons and 5 oz of priming sugar will yield about 3.3 vols of CO2. Your standard beer bottle could and will hold that unless there's something wrong with it. It's certainly above the level of carbonation for his style, but there are a few beers where that's right on the money. I've naturally carbed beers with CO2 levels in the mid 3s with no issues.

Quote:
In any event, I'm spooked. Don't know if this is for me.
It probably seems hard after your first attempt didn't go well, but generally speaking, most beginner mistakes will still yield pretty good beer. Obviously this is the exception, but there are only a couple of things that really could have caused what happened to you, and you will learn from that.

Quick Reply