bottle bomb worries – still fermenting?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laserghost

Reaction score
I brewed Ed Wort's Bee Cave Rye IPA 3 weeks ago, and now it's in the bottling bucket mixed with priming sugar, about to be bottled. I decided to bottle because I thought it had finished but when I took a gravity reading while racking, it was lower than I expected.

Recipe OG 1.064, actual 1.067. Recipe FG 1.010, actual OG 1.018.

I took a reading after one week in fermenter and it was 1.023. At week two I took another reading. I feel like I may have rounded down to 1.022, but it could have been right at 22 – kinda hard to tell on the hydrometer. So I thought it had finished low because I pitched a yeast slurry to it from the previous batch that had sat in primary for one month. I forgot to proof the yeast and wake it back from its slumber, and assumed that was why I got low attentuation on this one.

So I dropped 5 points from week 2 to week 3. Do you think I'm alright and it's close enough, or do you think I'm still fermenting and could risk explosion? This is headed into bottles right after I hit post.

I think the general rule of thumb is take a reading. Write down your numbers. In three days check again, if it's the same you're good to go.

It seems to be that you has a slight difference in readings, perhaps that's due strictly to a difference in temperature of your samples?

yeah ... i took readings and wrote down my numbers. i did calibrate my numbers based on temp, and from week one to week 2 the difference was less than or equal to 1 point.

i just bottled the batch. i did forget to temp adjust the final gravity. based on the ambient temps it was more like 1.020 not 1.018 as i originally posted. it's about 77–79 degrees in here.

based on the sample it does not taste sweet at all. it tastes good – i am probably just worrying over nothing.

i'll report back if something explodes.

Back