boring hef - fixable?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Breadylove

Reaction score
Made a simple hef with an OG of 1.044. 5.5 gal batch. No decoction just mashed at 151ish for 90 min. Fermented at about 63-66. Tasted after 4 weeks and it's super boring. Bland as heck.
Anyone think I could brew a high gravity hef wort (1 gal at about 1.080 OG) and add that to the beer to re start ferment and give the beer more body and flavor?
Anyone do that before?

I'd like to know if this might work. Any help welcome.

Boring in the fermenter does not necessarily mean it will be boring when conditioned. I would not mess with it but finish as is. If ya still don't like it add a lemon or orange wedge.

I used the Weihenstephan strain from Wyeast. This is my first Hef. 8th 5 gal batch. I'm thinking the gravity is too low so that's why it's boring. But I'm not sure what average gravity is for a hef.
Still, has anyone added more wort to a beer that has been done for weeks to give it more flavor and abv? I could mash the 1 gal batch high, 154ish, to give more unfermentables? Then add it to the 4 week old beer?

1.044 is on the lower side, but still in range for a Hefe. That yeast is the one I use for my Weizens, but it's a matter of the right balance of pitching rate, aeration, and fermentation temperature, and it's tough to get it right.

Is the problem the lack of malt character and/or body, or the lack of phenols/esters? In the former, I do a decoction mash on my Hefe, but you could steep some melanoidin malt to get sort of the same effect, boil it with a bit of DME, and up it that way. If it's esters and phenols, blending another batch might work, but I don't know if you'd be able to get enough simultaneous clove and banana to blend in to create enough character in the full batch.

Latest posts

Back