Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Bell's house ale yeast - Beersmith inputs?
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2012, 01:49 AM   #11
TheBrewinator
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 294
Liked 14 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default

It turned out well, I haven't tasted it since I racked to secondary to bulk age but my first taste told me it should turn out pretty darn good after aging 10-12 months.

I got 80% attenuation or so (don't have my computer with beersmith handy) and the barleywine finished at 11.6%, I didn't need to swirl the fermeter or anything, it didn't even bat an eye at chewing through that one. I'd go with the Bell's cake.

__________________
TheBrewinator is online now
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2012, 02:49 AM   #12
periwinkle1239
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: St. Louis, Missouri
Posts: 357
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

I've noticed that if you let it sit in a keg at a cold temp for say 2 months that the yeast will finally drop out and be almost crystal clear. Check out my 2-hearted:
http://cdn.homebrewtalk.com/attachme...o-640x480-.jpg

Mine is on the right. I did an extended boil (almost 2 hrs) to get down to final volume which is why I think my color is slightly darker than the real thing.

__________________
periwinkle1239 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2012, 02:59 AM   #13
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
 
NordeastBrewer77's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota
Posts: 7,933
Liked 1075 Times on 783 Posts
Likes Given: 3977

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by periwinkle1239 View Post
I've noticed that if you let it sit in a keg at a cold temp for say 2 months that the yeast will finally drop out and be almost crystal clear. Check out my 2-hearted:
http://cdn.homebrewtalk.com/attachme...o-640x480-.jpg

Mine is on the right. I did an extended boil (almost 2 hrs) to get down to final volume which is why I think my color is slightly darker than the real thing.
Sure takes it's sweet time to drop though, huh?! I have a simcoe IPA bottled that I used Bell's on, it's not gonna drop bright. One thing I've noticed about this strain, as with 1272, if you rack to a secondary after FG is stable, it seems to encourage the yeast to drop, it actually drops clear pretty quickly (4-7 days) after the transfer. I talked about this on this thread, and it seems others have seen the same thing.
__________________
The Polk Street Brewery

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.
NordeastBrewer77 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2012, 03:42 AM   #14
periwinkle1239
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: St. Louis, Missouri
Posts: 357
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordeastBrewer77

Sure takes it's sweet time to drop though, huh?! I have a simcoe IPA bottled that I used Bell's on, it's not gonna drop bright. One thing I've noticed about this strain, as with 1272, if you rack to a secondary after FG is stable, it seems to encourage the yeast to drop, it actually drops clear pretty quickly (4-7 days) after the transfer. I talked about this on this thread, and it seems others have seen the same thing.
Ha that's the thread I started. Bell's strain = Best. Yeast. Ever.
__________________
periwinkle1239 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2012, 03:46 AM   #15
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
 
NordeastBrewer77's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota
Posts: 7,933
Liked 1075 Times on 783 Posts
Likes Given: 3977

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by periwinkle1239 View Post
Ha that's the thread I started. Bell's strain = Best. Yeast. Ever.
Yeah, it's a great strain. Quickly becoming my go to for IPA.
__________________
The Polk Street Brewery

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.
NordeastBrewer77 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2012, 02:29 PM   #16
TheBrewinator
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 294
Liked 14 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default

Just checked the numbers on the barleywine. 1.108 down to 1.020 so about 81% attenuation if my calculation is correct.

__________________
TheBrewinator is online now
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2012, 02:56 PM   #17
kpr121
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 2,785
Liked 61 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 68

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrewinator View Post
Just checked the numbers on the barleywine. 1.108 down to 1.020 so about 81% attenuation if my calculation is correct.
Thanks for the update. I threw nearly the entire bells cake into about 4 gallons of my barleywine last night around 10 PM. This morning the fermentor (7.5 gallon tall sanke) was nearly full with krausen!
__________________
ADD ME on GOOGLE+
Primary: Nugget Nectar 2014
Kegged:

Bottled:
Bulk Aging:
Up Next: ???? Suggestions?
kpr121 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2012, 12:48 AM   #18
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
daksin's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 4,150
Liked 283 Times on 245 Posts
Likes Given: 325

Default

This sounds like the perfect moment for an experiment. Take some DME, and make 3 worts, say a liter or two each (all the same), low, medium, and high gravity. Do a forced ferment test (grossly overpitch, ferment extremely warm, and stir/shake each) on each and see what kind of numbers you get. I would love to see that data.

__________________

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

daksin is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2012, 05:31 PM   #19
rtb178
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 150
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

This is the newest Bell's yeast strain thread I could find, so I thought I should add some information. I pitched a 1.5L starter of Bell's yeast (harvested from the Pale Ale) into a 5 gallon IPA (1.067). The fermentation bucket got down to 61 overnight, and the yeast wouldn't do anything. Warmed the room a bit, brought the bucket back up to 68, and it's going. So low 60s doesn't sound like a great option for this yeast.

__________________
rtb178 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2012, 06:48 PM   #20
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
 
NordeastBrewer77's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota
Posts: 7,933
Liked 1075 Times on 783 Posts
Likes Given: 3977

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtb178 View Post
This is the newest Bell's yeast strain thread I could find, so I thought I should add some information. I pitched a 1.5L starter of Bell's yeast (harvested from the Pale Ale) into a 5 gallon IPA (1.067). The fermentation bucket got down to 61 overnight, and the yeast wouldn't do anything. Warmed the room a bit, brought the bucket back up to 68, and it's going. So low 60s doesn't sound like a great option for this yeast.
What was your method of harvesting and stepping up? This is the important stuff. I've run that yeast lower than the low 60's with no issues. It's incredibly similar (if not the same) as 1272, which is quite tolerant of low temps. There's a thread here called "yeast harvest: Bell's Amber" that has a lot of info.
__________________
The Polk Street Brewery

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.
NordeastBrewer77 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bell's Yeast Strain permo Fermentation & Yeast 57 12-03-2014 11:18 PM
Harvesting Yeast from Bell's Two Hearted Ale Reelale Fermentation & Yeast 45 12-15-2013 04:11 AM
Yeast Harvest - Bell's Amber periwinkle1239 Fermentation & Yeast 75 10-24-2012 02:41 PM
Which Bell's yeast should I culture? jmf143 Fermentation & Yeast 12 12-02-2011 01:59 PM
Bell's Two Hearted Yeast Harvest DawgBrewer Fermentation & Yeast 14 07-31-2011 02:52 AM



Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS