beer tastes/smells like a fruit salad.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigTexBrewer

Reaction score
I tapped my Rye Pils last night and it smells/tasts like a fruit salad. I am wondering if the off flavors may have came from fermentation or an infection. It fermented in a temp controlled kegerator for about a month. After 75-80% completed fermentation I transfered it to a secondary and did a rest at 50° for a couple days, I walked the temp down slowly to 34° (lowest my kegerator goes) and let it sit for a couple weeks then kegged it. The yeast I used was WLP 2206 Bavarian. I've used this yeast before and didn't get these off flavors but im about 90% sure the first time I used it, it fermented a little warmer. Did I ferment cold too long? Was my rest not long enough?

I tapped my Rye Pils last night and it smells/tasts like a fruit salad. I am wondering if the off flavors may have came from fermentation or an infection. It fermented in a temp controlled kegerator for about a month. After 75-80% completed fermentation I transfered it to a secondary and did a rest at 50° for a couple days, I walked the temp down slowly to 34° (lowest my kegerator goes) and let it sit for a couple weeks then kegged it. The yeast I used was WLP 2206 Bavarian. I've used this yeast before and didn't get these off flavors but im about 90% sure the first time I used it, it fermented a little warmer. Did I ferment cold too long? Was my rest not long enough?

How much yeast is in suspension? Yeast will taste fruity. Also rye can taste almost like apricot in a light beer, in my experience.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Home Brew mobile app

50 is pretty low for a d-rest, low to mid 60's would have been better, sounds like that's the problem. Also before the rest what temp was it at? What yeast?

Sent from my SM-T310 using Home Brew mobile app

50 is pretty low for a d-rest, low to mid 60's would have been better, sounds like that's the problem. Also before the rest what temp was it at? What yeast?

Sent from my SM-T310 using Home Brew mobile app

The only problem I'd expect from a lack of a proper d rest is diacetyl

The only problem I'd expect from a lack of a proper d rest is diacetyl

True but wyeast recommends a thorough d-rest for this strain. It's possible without this other off flavors may have developed as well, IMO

Sent from the Commune

True but wyeast recommends a thorough d-rest for this strain. It's possible without this other off flavors may have developed as well, IMO

Sent from the Commune

What causes off flavors are you thinking of? The only one I can think of in this case might be acetaldehyde...but that seems unlikely to be caused by a lack of a d rest?

What causes off flavors are you thinking of? The only one I can think of in this case might be acetaldehyde...but that seems unlikely to be caused by a lack of a d rest?

Well, that was my other thought, not related to d rest though. I was simply pointing out the rest temp was low as well.

Honestly I'm not sure otherwise unless what the OP is describing is not accurate, we also don't know what hops were used for aroma if any.

Usually what is described pertains to ales fermented at too high a temp, not lagers....

Sent from the Commune

Back