Beer stalled what should I do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brooksraddysh

Reaction score
Ok.
I brewed a 5 gal batch w a og of1.060 on Saturday the 10th. I used a dry yeast and just sprinkled it on. It took 48 hours to show any signs of life bubbling and krausen. A day later bubbling has stopped but krausen is still there. Do I leave it for a few days or should I start checking gravity readings

I would leave it at least a week or more before taking a reading. Can you post your recipe as well including the type of yeast you are using? Was this extract, all grain, or partial mash. If it was all grain or PM what temp did you mash?

Anytime I get a stalled beer it's from lack of aeration prior to pitching.

All grain
9 lbs 2 row
8 oz crystal40
8 oz choc malt
1 lbs honey

Mash temp was 165 but I got it cooled down to 155 after 15 min. The yeast is safale us 05. American ale

Thx for the help

The krausen doesn't always rise and fall proportionally to the attenuation rate. Fermentation could be complete, but the krausen just hasn't fallen yet. While you could take a reading, I agree with the others that you should wait. Even though your yeast most likely didn't stall and fermentation is most likely mostly complete, you'll still want to wait for the krausen to fall.

Your mash temps look fine. It would have been better if you had rehydrated the yeast prior to pitching. Just sprinkling it on top can kill half the yeast right away. That will increase your lag time and possibly increase esters that can cause off flavors.

All grain
9 lbs 2 row
8 oz crystal40
8 oz choc malt
1 lbs honey

Mash temp was 165 but I got it cooled down to 155 after 15 min. The yeast is safale us 05. American ale

Thx for the help

This all looks good. I was thinking that if you had a huge proportion of specialty malt and/or a high mash temp then that would have left you with a good deal of unfermentable sugars in there. I would give it 7-10 days total and take a reading then. Three days later take another and see if the gravity has stabilized. That's the only way to know for sure.

P.S. The honey in there could have caused the fermentation to take off and go quickly as well. I've had that happen when I use simple sugars in beers. It's not a bad thing, just something that happens.

Latest posts

Back