Ale Yeast, fermentation and conditioning temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DPBISME

Reaction score
I want to confirm an idea I have about the different phases of a fermentation:lag phase, growth phase, fermentation phase, and the sedimentation phase. OR lag phase, exponential growth phase, and stationary growth phase, or flocculation phase.

I have an "idea" that if I brew an ale like a English Bitter or Hefe-weisen… AND that it is fermented at the proper temprature (say 69 degrees) through the fermentation phase (10 – 14 days from start) it should be OK to pull it out of the fermentation chamber and let it sit at room temprature 74-78 until completion (usually 1 or 2 weeks).

I figure it has done most of what it is going to do (quit reproducing and making alcohol), it is conditioning, and the yeast might like this slightly warmer temprature to do this.

Why do I ask? Well I want to brew more frequently… If I open up space in the fermentation chamber I can brew more.

From the time I pitch the yeast until I get to my FG I keep in a swamp cooler with the water around 62 degrees. As soon as fermentation is complete I let it gradually warm up over 2 or 3 days and then just pull it out sit at ambient (72-74 right now) until Im ready to bottle/keg.

Basically, I do what you are purposing and have no problems (none that I can tell).

Keep in mind not all yeast are the same and require different care while fermenting.

Thanks Brewers,

I was pretty sure I understood this but something made me want to confirm.

It has really only been an issue this year since I have been brewing more this Summer than any Summer previously.

dpb

Back