Airlock still going after 96 hours, infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goody0

Reaction score
After 96 hours my airlock is still active. I have heard that long fermentation could mean an infection.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Yeah 4 days is NOT a long fermentation. If anything, it is pretty short in the grand scheme of things. I've had buckets that bubbled for 2-3 weeks, and they all turned out fine. Get a hydrometer and measure the gravity. Then wait another couple weeks before bottling/touching it. You'll thanks us for it.

I brewed a Saison well over a month ago, it is still blooping the airlock every once in a while.

It is done fermenting and is not infected, the bubbles are the beer outgassing the CO2 that was produced during fermentation.

No worries on my end, I will get around to kegging it sometime. :rockin:

Yeast strain? I did a beer with Wyeast Kolsch that bubbled for almost a month and the krausen never did fall back down. I don't think you need to worry.

Yeah...what they said. I've got a IIPA in the carboy right now that's 9 days out and still bubbling. Airlocks lie, hydrometers don't.

Gravity readings?

They're the only things that can tell you what your beer is doing, not us, OR your airlock.

The other big benefit of taking a gravity reading is that it gives you an opportunity to sneak a taste of your beer, thus setting your mind at ease, or conversely, letting you know beyond the shadow of a doubt that your beer has turned to piss & vinegar.

Gravity readings?

They're the only things that can tell you what your beer is doing, not us, OR your airlock.

First and foremost LISTEN TO REVVY!!!

The airlock tells me when what's going on after watching it for many, many batches but I still don't trust the little bastard.
Also warm loving yeast fermented cool can work slow. Either give it time or whip out the hydrometer.

Don't feel bad for asking goodyO, it's a valid question. I know that Palmer's book says something about "worry about infection if your airlock is still bubbling after a week", but unfortunately you can't reliably use the airlock as an indicator of what's going on inside. The people on this forum can be a really great resource for information....don't be afraid to ask. I'm sure your beer is fine.

Don't feel bad for asking goodyO, it's a valid question. I know that Palmer's book says something about "worry about infection if your airlock is still bubbling after a week", but unfortunately you can't reliably use the airlock as an indicator of what's going on inside. The people on this forum can be a really great resource for information....don't be afraid to ask. I'm sure your beer is fine.

Exactly, I hope I didn't seem to give you the brush off, I was trying to set your worries to rest. your airlock is just a valve for excess pressure. I leave my fermenters for an average of a month, at that point I open it up to take a gravity reading, if I see a pellicle gettin funky on the surface I taste a sample from below the funk and if it tastes good, I rack from below the pellicle and keg as usual.

Just did a gravity reading, 1.012. This is a Brewers Best PSA IPA. The OG was 1.054 and there still lots of krausen on top after 4 days.

airlocks bubbling are the #1 source of infection identification

What????

Airlock bubbling is the number 1 source of everything from fermentation to changes in atmospheric temps, a raise in temperature, to the cat brushing against the fermenter. An airlock is a vent, a valve to release excess co2, not a magic fermentation gauge or infection detector. Especially not an infection detector.

I hope he was being facetious.

Totally, lol.

But aside from being a vent, it also provides rainbows if you let leprechauns live in it (But, you will naturally have to be fermenting a stout). I've never seen it myself, but I have heard that airlocks also grow a moss that is very symbiotic to hop growth. I still have my fingers crossed.

Airlocks are the #2 contributor to global warming. If it's still bubbling after a week, you could end up with a major fine from the EPA. I hear that California is going to mandate Catalytic Converters be installed on all airlocks manufactured after January 1 2011.

Gropo said:
Airlocks are the #2 contributor to global warming. If it's still bubbling after a week, you could end up with a major fine from the EPA. I hear that California is going to mandate Catalytic Converters be installed on all airlocks manufactured after January 1 2011.

Lmao. Two cats. Pzev.

Back