Airlock running dry

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terek

"Did I just drop down a rabbit hole?"
Reaction score
I am having a problem. My airlock is going crazy, witch isn't a bad thing, it's just making the starsan solution inside it foam and come out the top. I am having to add more solution to the airlock every hour or so to keep it from going dry. There is no beer or hops or anything getting into it, but it is like a rolling boil in there. Is there a way to keep it from doing this, or am I just gonna have to keep adding solution to it till it calms down. I have been dealing with it for the last 24 hrs and no sign of it slowing down anytime soon

I have that problem with star san in the airlock, now I just use water, the star san bubbles out so quickly, I have no doubt that its best tho.

You can use plain water as suggested (Although I would probably boil it first, that's just me). Or some cheap vodka.

I have that problem with star san in the airlock, now I just use water, the star san bubbles out so quickly, I have no doubt that its best tho.

That's what I was thinking of doing, I'm just worried about contamination

You can use plain water as suggested (Although I would probably boil it first, that's just me). Or some cheap vodka.

I got vodka, that is a great idea.

You don't need anything until fermentation starts to slow down.

Back