1.02 Final Gravity?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just kegged my second all grain batch which was a Brown Porter and is on its way to becoming a Chili Beer (I added 10 Roasted Hatch Chilies and 2 Anaheim Chilies to the keg). I had an OG of 1.042 and have had it in the primary for 23 days (I opted not to do a secondary on this batch). Today as I was kegging I took an FG reading of 1.020, which was above my 1.010 goal. I pitched a 1.6 liter starter of Wyeast London Ale Yeast which I made 3 days prior to brewing so I know the yeast was active and the fermentation was kept at a fairly constant 65 degrees. Any ideas on why my FG was so high and is there anything I can do at this point or should I just enjoy the 2.9% beer?

The temperature and starter sounds good. The 1.020 from 1.042 doesn't sound right. Had you tested the gravity any time earlier? There is the chance it is still trying to ferment, but is going really slow due to the temperature.

What was you mash temperature? High temp could lead to low fermentables, but not a 50% attenuation.

From the way you type it seems you have decent brewing experience (mentioning this as it is your first post). Have you run into this before with a previous brew?

WLP013 is supposed to ferment at 66-71F, so it may be really sluggish. I would let the beer warm up a few degrees (68-70) and give it a couple days, along with a gentle swirl to kick up the settled yeast. Might drop a few more points.

Unfortunately, I did not take any other gravity readings. I didn't see a whole lot of activity in the airlock the first couple of days so I figured I missed the majority of it (due to the fairly large starter). I should point out that I noticed random bubbling every now and then over the last couple of days for what it's worth (maybe I should have taken that as a sign).

My mash was a singe infusion and I mashed in at 165 to hit my 152 goal right on the nose.

I have been brewing extract for the last few years but a recent move allowed me to finally make the jump to all grain, which I have been very excited about, but I have not ever had this issue before.

I was afraid it might just need some more time...but due to my impatience it is already in the keg and carbonating. Do you think it would it be feasible to unhook the CO2 and "cold crash" it for a week or so to absorb some of the chili flavor and then put it back into a fermenter with some more yeast?

I noticed that you quoted the WLP013 specs which do state a range of 66-71F. However, I used the Wyeast London Ale (1028) which has a range of 60-72F so I figured I was safe at 65.

Oh, sorry, thought of White Labs London Ale WLP013. Always use the hydrometer as a measurement of fermentation. If able, check the gravity after 2 weeks and then a couple days after that. If it is steady, then you know fermentation is complete. The biggest issues seen around here (and I have personally had) is assuming fermentation is complete when it is actually not. Best to use up a few ounces of beer and be certain than to have under fermented brew.

I am unfamiliar with kegging as I am a bottling man. I agree that is just needed more time. 152F should still allow for a lot of fermentation.

Honestly, I would taste the beer if you have already hooked it up to CO2. If it tastes good, then don't sweat it. If it tastes sweet and just generally not something you would drink, then make a starter of yeast and try again. At 1.040 to 10.20 you won't have much alcohol to be fighting against. Just be careful on oxygenation. Gut is though to just let it be as it will be difficult to change without potentially oxygenated the brew.

The 1.020 doesn't sound strange, but the 1.042 does. Did you intend to have a super low alcohol beer? A brew that low at SG makes me think of a lager or pilsner, that you might give a protein rest at 125, then mash at 148 and hope for it to come down to 1.010. What was your target SG?

Need to see the grain bill. Also do you mean the mash was 165 and then cooled to 152 over an hour? Or the strike water was 165 and the mash stabilized at 152 and held at 152 for an hour?

I used Airborneguy's Atonement Brown Porter recipe (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f126/atonement-brown-porter-2011-hbt-gold-category-12-a-238714/).

I did not intend to have a low alcohol beer. According to BeerSmith the estimated original gravity was 1.047 so I was low from the start.

As far as the temperatures I added 165 degree strike water so that after adding the grain I would be at 152. Over the 60 minutes I didn't have any significant heat losses.

Well, at the time of brewing I was limited by the size of my mash tun (20 qt). I now have a 56 qt. tun which I am excited to use next brew day to get back to the high gravity beers I love so much...but that does not solve my immediate problem with this batch.

Grizz-McCuddles said:
Well, at the time of brewing I was limited by the size of my mash tun (20 qt). I now have a 56 qt. tun which I am excited to use next brew day to get back to the high gravity beers I love so much...but that does not solve my immediate problem with this batch.

Good. .047 to .20 is less than bud. I have had a few batches take 4 wks to finish the last 10 points (depending on yeast strain). It might be too late, if you've already kegged\carbed. Unless you degass, bring up to room temp and repitch(may not be necessary).

Haha I know, but it tastes a hell of a lot better than Bud even knowing I probably won't ever get a buzz drinking it. Right now it's in the fridge at 45F (with no gas other than what was already in there) where I think I will let it sit for a few days until I get the chili flavor I want. Then I'll decide what to do.

Latest posts

Back