• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Good Deal on Carboys on Amazon?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

udt89

Reaction score
Definitely a good price for glass bottles. But why do you want glass over Better Bottles?

I bought one of these, arrived intact, no problems. Seems to be the same quality as the ones I've bought at my local store.

Definitely a good price for glass bottles. But why do you want glass over Better Bottles?

There is no right or wrong answer to this. For me, I prefer the glass carboys, because they are much more scratch resistant and will likely last a lifetime. Assuming I don't drop them ;)

I honestly dont have an answer. call me old school?

I wanted glass 3 months ago but they were all in the $50 range after shipping so I went with better bottles just to save money. I like glass but I don't think I can justify a 6th carboy with SWMBO :D

Based on the price and the reviews on Amazon, this looks like a no-brainer then...... might have to be a x-mas gift to myself

I got 2 of the 3gal versions of this carboy for like $21 each with free shipping. They arrived just fine for me too. If you need a carboy this is definitely a good deal.

I FEAR THE GLASS! I think with care Better Bottles or buckets should last years if not a lifetime. I do not care to risk a trip to the ER. Once is enough to blow any savings $wise!

zeekage said:
I got 2 of the 3gal versions of this carboy for like $21 each with free shipping. They arrived just fine for me too. If you need a carboy this is definitely a good deal.

That's really the only carboys I need, so I'm going to have to check that.

Get the DEal News app or go to their web site and search carboy. Amazon will do this every 3 months or so and they have been even cheaper than 30 in the past ($27 as I recall). They sell out quick but I have 5 I have gotten over the past year from them.
If you get the app you can save the search and just re-run it when the mood strikes or it will alert you when a deal pops up.

I bought one and it came in a million pieces... Amazon gave me a refund, but it wasn't fun to be all excited and then have to buy another one.

Last edited by a moderator:
I consider myself extremely lucky to not have lost a body part when I broke one of my glass carboys, and it was not from dropping it. It was full (only water, fortunately) and as I picked it up by the neck, I watched in horror as the main body separated and crashed at my bare feet, leaving me holding only the still intact neck. Never again will I own or even use glass carboys! I had no problem convincing SWMBO of the practicality of purchasing a Blichmann SS conical, so it was an overall positive experience. But I would never recommend glass - EVER!

I bought three of the 6 gallon ones last time they were on sale. They all came intact. I have been using them for a few months. Great quality. I just wish they were 6.5 gallons as with 5 gallons of wort, I have to use a blow off tube most times.

I have broken two glass carboys in the past. One by hitting the top of a full one sitting in my fermentation freezer with the bottom of the other full one I was trying to place next to it.

The one sitting that was busted was full of wine. Luckily it only broke a chunk out from the top between the neck and the side and didn't shatter.

The 2nd time I was sliding an one empty over. It was resting upside down in one of those blue carboy drains. I half assed slid it over and when the drain stopped moving, the carboy didn't. It teetered over and my reaction was to grab it. Again, luckily I only ended up with a nice little gash in one of my fingers when it shattered and no major tendons or arteries. Could have been very bad. I have many stories about those who had to have emergency surgery and months of physical therapy from the same accidental breakage.

I love glass but it needs to be treated with extreme caution at all times. I now use plastic milk crates to haul them and store them in whether empty or full.

These Brew Haulers are awesome. I have 3 and never move full carboys without it: Austin Homebrew Supply

One thing to note is that the little handles that go around the neck are NOT meant to be used to move a full one. I don't believe the neck is meant to carry that much weight. They are nice for moving them around when empty though.

I make it a point to never move my glass carboys while drinking strictly because of the horror stories I've heard on here. When I'm sober I am much more careful when handling them.

This is the deal that keeps on giving. Mine came intact about 6 months ago and have brewed with it numerous times. Get a brew hauler and call it a day.

If you are cheap like me you can buy 10 dollars worth of rope and make some haulers (4 to 5) that I feel are stronger than the brew haulers, I think the thread in the diy fourm is "rope hauler" in a search.

edecambra said:
If you are cheap like me you can buy 10 dollars worth of rope and make some haulers (4 to 5) that I feel are stronger than the brew haulers, I think the thread in the diy fourm is "rope hauler" in a search.

Great idea. I hadn't seen that thread yet.

great price but if your not prime member the shipping is close to 20 bucks per bottle which brings total to 50 bucks. i would rather support my LHBS for a couple bucks more.
thanks for looking out though

Not true. If your order is over $25 it ships free. $30 to your door. Your lhbs can't touch it. This was a purchase that I didn't support paying my lhbs.

Latest posts

Back