Yeast in pour after bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kjr13

Reaction score
Any help is appreciated, I ran an IPA, it was a kit that was given to me for Christmas. The recipe was as follows: 6lbs of gold liquid malt, 3.15 lbs amber malt, 4oz crystal 50-60L, hops: 1oz warrior, 2oz Amarillo (whole flowers), 2oz simcoe, 1oz ahranum, used safale S-03(rehydrated).

Anyhow, everything was sanitized properly, brewed according to the kit (except the Amarillo whole hops I switched them instead of pellets. My question I bottled and stored about 65 degrees, after 12 days (I know it's a bit early perhaps) but I'm getting a pretty good amount of settlement on the bottom, I'm assuming yeast. Any suggestions?

image.jpg

Throw them in the fridge once you notice that the bottles have been fully carbed. Cold temps help crash yeast/trub/sediment to the bottom of the bottle. That should help with your predicament.

It does look like yeast. Cold crashing the bottles a few days before drinking will help. Also how you pour from bottle to glass makes a difference. Glugging the bottle when pouring can stir up the sediment in the bottom of the bottle. Yes it is normal, but the sediment can be reduced.

Any help is appreciated, I ran an IPA, it was a kit that was given to me for Christmas. The recipe was as follows: 6lbs of gold liquid malt, 3.15 lbs amber malt, 4oz crystal 50-60L, hops: 1oz warrior, 2oz Amarillo (whole flowers), 2oz simcoe, 1oz ahranum, used safale S-03(rehydrated).

Anyhow, everything was sanitized properly, brewed according to the kit (except the Amarillo whole hops I switched them instead of pellets. My question I bottled and stored about 65 degrees, after 12 days (I know it's a bit early perhaps) but I'm getting a pretty good amount of settlement on the bottom, I'm assuming yeast. Any suggestions?

Excess yeast and other sediment in the bottles is much more a matter of brew process than recipe selection.

Things you can do to lessen it are:

1) Use whirlfloc at 10 min left in the boil

2) After chilling, cover the kettle and let the wort clear for 15-20 min.

3) Try to leave as much kettle trub behind as possible

4) Leave the beer alone for 4-5 days after it's reached a stable FG

5) If you have the means to do so, cold crash the primary 5-7 days at 35-40*F. Not only does this really help clear the beer, it will cause the yeast cake to be more firm and harder to suck up with the siphon.

6) Minimize movement of the primary just before bottling so that you don't slosh it around

7) Rack carefully into the bottling bucket starting with the siphon only part-way down into the beer.

8) After the beer has carbed/conditioned at 70-75*F for 3 weeks, put it in the fridge at least 3 days before popping a top.

9) Pour carefully and leave 1/2" of beer/trub in the bottle.

Awesome, thank you all for the prompt and informative replies. It's great to get advice when learning the ropes solo. Appreciate it!

If you bottle condition, you'll always get some yeast in the bottom. Cold crashing and fining tends to work pretty well (don't do this for wheat/wit beers, as it'll change the flavor). On the topic of pouring, the point where the bottle rolls into the neck is great for trapping yeast when you pour.

I let the beer reach a stable FG,then give it another 3-7 days to clean up & settle out clear or slightly misty. Then prime & bottle,giving it 3-4 weeks on average at 70F or so. Then 1 week fridge time to give any chill haze a chance to form & settle. This will also compact any trub/yeast on the bottom of the bottle. It should be a small amount or dusting if you siphoned well.

I let the beer reach a stable FG,then give it another 3-7 days to cvlean up & settle out clear or slightly misty. Then prime & bottle,giving it 3-4 weeks on average at 70F or so. Then 1 week fridge time to give any chill haze a chance to form & settle. This will also compact any trub/yeast on the bottom of the bottle. It should be a small amount or dusting if you siphoned well.

Good answer.

If you bottle a beer that has completely fermented out and allowed a week or so to brighten or clear up the only residue you should get is from the priming sugar being fermented.

I let mine carbonate for a week or 2 at room temperature and since I have a well stocked pipeline I may not open a bottle for several more weeks. After a day or so in the fridge I can pour off the entire contents of a 12 ounce bottle (gently-not a gurgling pour) leaving behind the thin layer of sediment.

bosco

I find that the 'careful pouring' method doesn't always work so well. The problem is that as you slowly pour the beer, CO2 starts forming around the yeast cake/plug and kicks the yeast up into suspension. This causes more bubbles to form, pulling more yeast up. This doesn't work for all yeasts (you just have to try it), and it won't work for highly carbonated beers, but what I do is I use a .5 L glass, and I do a hard vertical pour into the glass. The idea is to get the beer off of the yeast cake as quickly as possible. I'll pop the cap off the beer, put the glass top of the bottle, and then flip the glass and bottle over. I'll keep the bottle low in the glass to prevent excessive head, and then slowly lift the bottle as the glass fills. I'll get a pretty thick head on the beer (~1.5 inches), but when it works well, the beer is crystal clear and the yeast is undisturbed in the bottom of the bottle. Seriously, give it a shot, it works much better for me than the slow, careful pour method.

And keep the beers cold. Chilling really helps pack down the yeast plug, and if you leave your beer cold long enough (maybe a month), you'll get rid of chill haze as well.

Latest posts

Back