Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Wtf gravity?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2012, 08:43 PM   #1
othevad
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Wtf gravity?

So.

I was attempting to draw up my own recipe for an imperial stout on the spot.
Entered into beersmith, looked like it should run at about 1.105 initial gravity
(yep, I know pretty juicy)
Anyway, I just cooled the wort and had a cooled sample that I measured the gravity and it came out at 1.065. I did a BITB/Partial mash. Here's the recipe, was my efficiency that piss poor?

(note: this is a 3 gallon test batch!)

*This is the grain bill*
7lbs Maris Otter
3lbs Liquid Pale Extract
.5 lb chocolate Malt
.5 lb roasted barley
.25 lb crystal

My starting boil volume and my final boil volume were almost exact, I really can't figure out why this is measuring so low. I have it entered in beersmith with a 65% eff. rating.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2012, 08:45 PM   #2
tom_gamer
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You didnt have any boil off?

Old 12-21-2012, 08:49 PM   #3
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 477 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

How did you mash? Who crushed the grain? Pre-boil volume? Mash volume? Details dog, details...

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 12-21-2012, 08:53 PM   #4
othevad
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

yo.
LHBS did the crush.
Starting boil volume was 4.4 gallons, final volume was just a touch under 3 gallons.
Mashed between 158-162 degrees, (for the first 35-40 minutes) the heat went up near the end pre boil about 20 degrees due to user error (i.e. doing laundry and figured since the stove had maintained the same heat on low for that long that it would continue doing so)
That temp thing is the only real error, but I don't see how that would effect the OG.

Old 12-21-2012, 08:54 PM   #5
CBMbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I'm getting 30% efficiency in promash. I am curious about your pre and post boil volumes. How long did you steep and at what temp? How long was your boil and how vigorous?

Happiness is in the eye of the beer holder

Old 12-21-2012, 08:57 PM   #6
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by othevad View Post
yo.
LHBS did the crush.
Starting boil volume was 4.4 gallons, final volume was just a touch under 3 gallons.
Mashed between 158-162 degrees, (for the first 35-40 minutes) the heat went up near the end pre boil about 20 degrees due to user error (i.e. doing laundry and figured since the stove had maintained the same heat on low for that long that it would continue doing so)
That temp thing is the only real error, but I don't see how that would effect the OG.
How did you sparge? Did you actually mash the grain or just steep it? Also, mashing THAT high would lead to a really high FG.

Also, are you 100% sure you got all the clumps out of the grain during the mash??

Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 12-21-2012, 09:02 PM   #7
othevad
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hey.

It was a brew in a bag/partial recipe. I put all the grain in the bag had the strike water at 158 degrees F and let it mash there for an hour. Read above comments for temp change which happened at the end.

After removing the grain bag at an hour, I added the 3lbs of extract and proceeded to boil/hop as usual for an hour.
Erm.
Any more questions. Not sure if I missed something/step. This was my first time doing boil in bag.
I've done AG and those have come out according to plan. *_*

Old 12-21-2012, 09:02 PM   #8
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4342 Times on 3157 Posts
Likes Given: 845

Mashing at such a high temperature is ok (very unusual, but if you maintained a temperature no higher than 160 degrees throughout, you would have had some conversion) but once the temperature climbed you would have denatured the enzymes and then halted conversion. You probably got nothing (or at least, very little) in the way of fermentable sugars from that mash.

Old 12-21-2012, 09:10 PM   #9
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by othevad View Post
Hey.

It was a brew in a bag/partial recipe. I put all the grain in the bag had the strike water at 158 degrees F and let it mash there for an hour. Read above comments for temp change which happened at the end.

After removing the grain bag at an hour, I added the 3lbs of extract and proceeded to boil/hop as usual for an hour.
Erm.
Any more questions. Not sure if I missed something/step. This was my first time doing boil in bag.
I've done AG and those have come out according to plan. *_*
Sounds like you didn't sparge, which means you left sugars behind in the grain. How much water did you actually start the mash with??

I suspect that the temperature climbed to over 160 sooner than you think, stopping the conversion, resulting in a lower OG. Also, if you didn't mix/stir the grains in the bag really well, you had clumping which will also give a serious hit to your efficiency.

Fermenting
K1:

Old 12-21-2012, 09:18 PM   #10
othevad
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

yep.
I'm a moron. I didn't sparge.
I didn't actually read the directions on BITB and just figured all the sugars would come out as it was teabagging (like that?) my wort.
duh. I did break the grains up and stir well and continuously (every 5ish mins through the first 40ish)
I guess instead of an "imperial stout", I'll end up with a "stout".
I'm sure it will still be beer anyway (although it could suck total balls)
=O

Quick Reply