Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Why You Brew

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2007, 08:31 PM   #31
Ryanh1801
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Im a science geek.
I like to cook
I love good beer.
Seems that brewing puts all of these together nicely.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2007, 08:33 PM   #32
Denny's Evil Concoctions
Grande Megalomaniac
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 42 Posts

I like the process and the mad scientists feel. I also really really really like the ability to make any type of beer I want.

I may not be an expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express........ 6 months ago.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/denn...9/#post1766281

http://groups.homebrewtalk.com/Tapro...ook_Repository

Old 04-04-2007, 09:15 PM   #33
paranode
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I like good beer and so when I read a little about making beer and found out that it wasn't really all that hard I was compelled to try it. Plus SWMBO never really wanted me to buy a bunch of beer at the store, especially the expensive (read "good") stuff... so I figured if I could convince her to let me start this hobby then I could have a nice stock of good beer on hand for when I felt like having one.

Also it's really cool to be able to make any style you want and tweak the ingredients. As others say it's like playing a lab scientist creating something, only you get to drink it, and it's BEER!

Old 04-04-2007, 09:21 PM   #34
sause
Steel Comma Ale & Lagery

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Looking at 15 gallon of beer to be drunk in 3 vessels is the best sight in the world. That and it costs me $60 bucks to make it all is good too. Can't even get Lite here for that. I hated ber until I had good stuff which was actually was my own.

Old 04-04-2007, 10:24 PM   #35
IowaStateFan
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanh1801
Im a science geek.
I like to cook
I love good beer.
Seems that brewing puts all of these together nicely.
Holy Cow! How do you follow all of these great (and very inspirational) stories? Ryan sums up why I got started. Brewing also evokes the spirit of a simpler time, when people were self-sufficient and made everything themselves. I really like the idea of taking a few, fresh ingredients and creating a very complex beverage. I've only been at it about 6 months, and most of my beers have been mediocre, but I'm a perfectionist and I'm beginning to see improvements. By this time next year I am certain that I will be brewing beers that are the equal of the best German brewmeisters. I've already shared a beer with my German in-laws and gotten decent reviews. My goal is to create a beer that they will rave about.

Old 04-04-2007, 10:29 PM   #36
onecolumbyte
Recipes 

Counting equipment it's definetly NOT cheaper. Maybe when I'm 60 and can amoritize the cost over my whole brewing career.

1) Craft- This is definetly the #1 reason. I like cooking but this is BEER. Everytime I think about sciencing (not really a word but WTF) it all up I remeber that monks were doing it thousands of years ago. Besides if there's a nuclear war in post apocolyptic USA I'll have a marketable skill.

2) I like building gadgets. Now I can build beer gadgets. I like experiments. Now I have beer experiments. etc. etc.

3) I like GOOD beer. And good beer I make. Even stripping away the "I made it, it's the best" I STILL make good beer

4) Wife supports it. She's not really into beer, but it keeps me home and she also likes the "craft" aspect.

And I GET BEER WHEN I'M DONE!!!!!

Old 04-05-2007, 03:58 AM   #37
Llarian
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

My hobbies are reef aquariums, photography, and brewing...

I guess I like anything that mixes art with science.

Maybe that's why I design software and networks for a living too. =)

-D

Old 04-05-2007, 04:17 AM   #38
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Liked 354 Times on 292 Posts
Likes Given: 95

I started brewing because I needed a hobby, something that *I* could do, semi-selfishly, for myself.

I got into the hobby and started seeking out more information because the process itself is very interesting. You can stay with very basic recipes, brew extract, and make great beer, or there's an almost unlimited amount of learning and experimentation that you can get into. It's a great balance between an art and a science.

My obsession with brewing? I blame all of you mo'fo's. I've made some great friendships with guys across the globe, which just reinforces how much fun this hobby really is.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 04-05-2007, 05:03 PM   #39
King of the Swill
Recipes 

I brew because it is fun--a hobby. I could buy decent-good beer at about the same price as I have spent brewing, but there is something about making your own excellent beer. It just adds to the already enjoyable sport of drinking beer.

Old 04-05-2007, 05:55 PM   #40
CBBaron

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

I brew because I wanted beers a little different than those that are easy to get. Plus they cost less than the $9-$15/6 I usually pay for micros from the grocery.
My first two batches from kits were good. Not as good as my favorite brews but better than the cheaper brands, in my opinion.
I hoping my brews improve because I am enjoying the process, especially trying out recipes that are a little off the main stream.
Craig

Quick Reply